Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going absolutely hairless with our Hyundai. Three days ago a new battery was put on it because it was refusing to start. The first turn of the key and up she went, brilliant I thought, all for a new battery! My joy was short lived, as today back to the same problem, glow plugs on and off 4-5 times, but no go, had I persisted then the battery would be completely flat. How do I find the pump to crank the fuel? Any ideas you clever clogs out there Please. Do not get too technical as neither of us have an "Ology". Thank you guys.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
How do I find the pump to crank the fuel?
The terracan doesn't have an electric pump. The fuel pump is driven by the engine, it sucks fuel from the tank when the engine cranks.

Is the immobiliser warning light coming on when you first switch the ignition on?
Have you tried spraying some starter fluid into the engine air intake during crank to see if that gets the engine running? (Spray into the big hose at the air filter box)
When was the fuel filter last replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going absolutely hairless with our Hyundai. Three days ago a new battery was put on it because it was refusing to start. The first turn of the key and up she went, brilliant I thought, all for a new battery! My joy was short lived, as today back to the same problem, glow plugs on and off 4-5 times, but no go, had I persisted then the battery would be completely flat. How do I find the pump to crank the fuel? Any ideas you clever clogs out there Please. Do not get too technical as neither of us have an "Ology". Thank you guys.
ok so under the bonnet to the right hand side of the engine youll find the fuel filter it has pipes coming out of the top of it just behind it connected to one of the same pipes is a funny looking rubber bubble type thing squeeze it ten or twelve times or until it feels solid and wont easily squeeze and try and start the old girl if she fires up youve got air getting into the fuel somehow and causing the fuel to run back and making it difficult to start ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok so under the bonnet to the right hand side of the engine youll find the fuel filter it has pipes coming out of the top of it just behind it connected to one of the same pipes is a funny looking rubber bubble type thing squeeze it ten or twelve times or until it feels solid and wont easily squeeze and try and start the old girl if she fires up youve got air getting into the fuel somehow and causing the fuel to run back and making it difficult to start ..
do not spray starter fluid into it !!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello,
another suggestion would be to take a look at the fuel pipes between the fuel filter and the engine and the filter and the fuel tank.
The pipes to and from the engine should be very easy to see.
If the pipe that feeds the filter from the tank is leaking then indeed the fuel will leak back into the tank when the engine is not running. Most of the pipe can be seen running along the inside of the left hand chassis rail and there is an inspection cover under the left hand back seat to allow you to see the top of the fuel tank. A good torch will help you see if there are any damp patches and then check for the smell of diesel.
Because there is no fuel pressure inside that pipe, typically it would not leak while the engine is running and very little fuel would leak out when the engine is not running. If the leak is so far very slight, the engine could still have enough fuel pressure to run, once started.
There could be a good few other reasons for your problem but the easy ones should be ruled out first, I think.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Let me tell you what happened to me 30 years ago. I had a new car that "could not hold a charge." Took it back to the dealership so many times my folder was about an inch thick. I had to take it back so many times the dealership actually changed their loan car policy because of me. I finally took it to a local mechanic. He looked around, giggled a few wires and things and found there was a wire that had a bare spot. The bare spot was touching metal and the battery was discharging. He wrapped it with black electrician's tape. Never had a problem again. He became my mechanic for 10 years until I moved away. Have no clue if this is pertinent but as soon as I read your piece it reminded me of this issue. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts