Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up my first 4x4 car from the dealer :)

As it ist a 2004 Terracan I am now taking it to my favorite garage to prepare for some repairs, replacements and upgrades.

So far I have planned the following:

- replace corroded under floor parts if required
- replace corroded original sidesteps
- after that putting some corrosion protection under it (any recommendations beside oil or wax?)
- get a spare remote controller (spare key remote not working, battery ok)
- possible upgrade to ironman springs and shock absorbers to improve suspension

Any advice or idea ist welcome.

Cheers
Hikanio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found a very interesting non commercial "Test" of different treatments against corrosion (sadly in german):
A set of metal sheets was regularly sprayed with salted water and stored in a humid and warm box.

Thre very interesting outcome is that some oils like "Ballistol", "Ballistol Gunex" (which both are very expensive) but also WD40 do quite a good job in long term corrosion protection.

It is quite remarkable that simple chain grease also does a much better job than many other specialized commercial products.
The result for engine oil is surprisingly very disappointing too.

This test does not cover the "erosion" from water spray and dust which is usually happening to the under floor parts of a car, so a regular reapplicaton might be essential to some treatments.

Although it is in german, the pictures and description are easy to understand.

I would gladly post the link if the forum rules not just haven't told be that I have to wait a few days before being allowed to. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts