Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent visit to my local Hyundai dealer with my 2004 Sonata 2.4L it was suggested that the timing belt (among other things) be replaced.

The issue is that although the car is 9 years old it only has 35,000 miles and has been lightly used. But the dealer says that because of the heat (I live in Louisiana) and the age of the car, the timing belt should be replaced even though it isn't scheduled for another 25,000 miles.

I'm also being told that the water/coolant pump should be replaced at the same time because it is in the same area, and should it fail later most of the labor would have to be carried out all over again.

Bottom line is that if I carry out all of the "maintenance" being suggested I'm looking at about $1,200. And if I don't do it and the belt fails I can pretty much replace the engine.

The question is; does the timing belt REALLY need to be replaced? Does it REALLY get affected by heat and age?

And if it in fact DOES need to be replaced, should I replace the coolant pump at the same time? I DO know the pump and the belt come as part of a kit.

Strangely enough no one has mentioned replacing the belt tensioner, is that included as part of the belt replacement?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Why another one on TB replacement ? This forum is full of them back and forth.

Some quick answers:
Actually the belt is even more affected by heat and age than by mileage. Interval is 60kmls or 90kkm OR 6 years, whichever comes first. So yours is 3 years overdue.
W. pump: highly recommended to replace. Cheapo part compared to labor cost. Similar scenario as with belt: Pumps fail due to standing more than due to running.
Tensioner: Replacement is a must.

Kitting: Depends. Some dealers make a kit, others don't. Just get the parts where you prefer to. Bear in mind that the 2.4 has 2 timing belts, the main and another one for the balance shaft.

Do us a favor: get prepared well if you want to do the job yourself and don't come back here in two weeks saying 'replaced belt but car vibrates like crazy' ...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Why another one on TB replacement ? This forum is full of them back and forth.

Some quick answers:
Actually the belt is even more affected by heat and age than by mileage. Interval is 60kmls or 90kkm OR 6 years, whichever comes first. So yours is 3 years overdue.
W. pump: highly recommended to replace. Cheapo part compared to labor cost. Similar scenario as with belt: Pumps fail due to standing more than due to running.

Kitting: Depends. Some dealers make a kit, others don't. Just get the parts where you prefer to. Bear in mind that the 2.4 has 2 timing belts, the main and another one for the balance shaft.

Do us a favor: get prepared well if you want to do the job yourself and don't come back here in two weeks saying 'replaced belt but car vibrates like crazy' ...
Another thing to add, get the right gasket. I bought a Bosch pump, but the gasket that came in the box (may have been switched out prior to shipping) was flimsy and cheap. Do not go cheap on this or what you save at first will end up costing you even more later on. I live in Texas and my belt/pump have lasted 9 years and over 184K miles, but that was risky and I should never have pushed it like that. Luckily, my alternator gave out before the belt or the pump.

If you are doing this yourself, you may think about replacing the serpentine belt while you're in there since they are right next to each other and you don't want the belt to stop driving the alternator. Don't take risks with belts. Once you have one snap on you (or the case of my Ford catch fire, melt, and then snap) you never want to go through that again.

ETA: Check your pulleys, too. One of mine was so rusted that it took both my mechanic friend and my fiance pulling at it for a solid 5-10 minutes to get it off. Check for play in the serpentine belt tensioner, but you don't have to replace it. All mine needed was a new pulley with is the same as the idler pulley, so it's pretty cheap to fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why another one on TB replacement ? This forum is full of them back and forth....
Thank you for your reply. To answer your question; because each case is different, distances, driving conditions and climate is very different from one place to another, in particular in the US.

Some quick answers:

While I appreciate the time you took to post a reply the lecture is out of line, I can hear the heavy sigh all the way over here. As a senior member perhaps you should set the example, in particular as I do not recall having mentioned that I planned to do the job myself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you're set on using a shop for all the maintenance, buy parts yourself. You get what you want instead of what the shop gets from their local supplier and it can save you money in the long run.

As previously stated, timing belt maintenance isn't just based on mileage, but time. The material breaks down especially in hot, humid climates such as the gulf coast states.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
each case is different
But Hyundai does not set a different interval for US vs. ROW

the lecture is out of line, I can hear the heavy sigh all the way over here.
Why that ? 80% of it is facts, condensed just for you. The first & last line is the sigh.

I do not recall having mentioned that I planned to do the job myself.
That's why the sentence included the - I admit, tiny - word 'if'.

I'm sorry if I 'hit' you but please also understand my perspective. Several decades of car maintenance experience and quite a number of active memberships in related forums have told me the same stories again and again - and one of them is that people don't tell the full story in the first post. So I anticipate - and that carries the inherent risk of being wrong in some cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 178000 miles on my sonata, had the belt replaced at the dealer, the belt, water pump, belt tensor, labor was only $678 and this was at my dealer seems that is a dealer not wanting repeat customers. when I called around to the shops close to me for the same thing it was $1000 to 1200 from them. I waited and went shoping around the area for 2 hours and was done when I got back, the option to not doing the belt is a new engine, when that belt goes the valves with destroy the pistons. I live in Arizona

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
For the full package ? Hard to believe. That time's gone just by stripping all the covers, engine mount, take the wheel off etc. etc. until actually getting to the belt and putting all back together. Then add another 1-1.5h for replacing pump, tensioner and pulleys, potentially need some time to clean off old gasket.

I'd suspect short cuts being taken when things are done so fast ...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have 178000 miles on my sonata, had the belt replaced at the dealer, the belt, water pump, belt tensor, labor was only $678 and this was at my dealer seems that is a dealer not wanting repeat customers. when I called around to the shops close to me for the same thing it was $1000 to 1200 from them. I waited and went shoping around the area for 2 hours and was done when I got back, the option to not doing the belt is a new engine, when that belt goes the valves with destroy the pistons. I live in Arizona
That really sounds like they took you for a ride. The dealership here quoted me about $500 for all of that including labor. My local shop quoted $380 if I supplied the parts. And I'm with e3tom on the time frame. It does not go that fast. Potentially, it could go faster by dropping the engine with proper equipment, but I still think it would take longer than 2 hours.

We just recently did mine with a plug and wire change and you can really tell the difference. My engine sounds like it did 6 years ago when I first bought the car :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.