Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We got this car a few years ago and it seems to have the same recurring problem.

When accelerating it kind of forces itself up the speed. Its like I'm pulling a trailer. It kind of rocks back and forth on its rate of accel.

Sometimes when up to speed it will not respond to increasing the gas petal for several seconds.

The worst is when it will start jumping as you get up to speed. The RPMs never get very high, it feels like it is having trouble finding the right gear. It is like it has a dirty lawnmower engine that is being pushed to its limits.

Wife's parents owned it before and said it took it to local shop a few times about this...one time they said it was timing, and tried to fix it, then it stalled out on her mother and I think there was valve damage. Another mechanic said because the power steering pump started leaking on the AC unit that caused it...so he took the AC out of the serpentine loop...I mean WTF?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had that problem. The not very responsive gas pedal for me was caused by MAF sensor. I tried clean with spray but it did not work, so I just bought an aftermarket one. I would suggest try those things first: air filter, MAF sensor, Fuel pressure, might also be misfiring. Pull out the plugs and see how they look like. Why didn't the second mechanic changed the pump if it was leaking. I mean leaking pump will definitely make it impossible for you to turn, so if it is really leaking, replace it. If the first mechanic is right about the timing then things are not looking very good, like you said the lack of power might be because of bent valves too but then also It will increase your fuel consumption, plus it will have some knocking sound.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Read your post twice to be sure I was not mixed up.. A question I did not really digest yet, so please clarify.

You stated "... and it seems to have the same recurring problem."
By this do you mean it has periods of running correctly, but then the poor running kicks in for a while, and then this cycle repeats? Or do you mean the problem continues on all the time running poorly?.

I can think of many things which can yield these symptoms and they would all have to be checked out. How are you as a mechanic? If not too experienced I would consider having the engine checked out on a computer to see what it tells you - could save a lot of testing and time. And have a full compression test run to analyze ring, cylinder, and valve wear.

Things that very quickly come to mind..

All the items dvd89 already mentioned.

Timing - perhaps timing is set wrong, or maybe just the belt has slipped a tooth. Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? If a 6 cyl, you have two cams to keep in time. Sensors for the crankshaft and/or camshaft must work correctly.

Exhaust - A restricted exhaust system.. crushed pipe, plugged pipe, catalyst, muffler. Restricted exhaust flow will muzzle the engine power.

Gummed up throttle body or the throttle position sensor? Does your engine have an EGR valve .. it can be plugged or the tube leading to it can be plugged, thus needing pulling and cleaning. Or the diaphragm within the EGR could be ruptured.

Vacuum leaks anywhere in the engine emission control system.

PVC valve bad or merely plugged.

Fuel filter, bad or partially fouled injectors.

Valve damage from a timing belt problem in the past. Do you have any repair history on belt replacements... when, by whom? Also if the belt tensioner is weak or not operating properly, the belt can slip allowing bad timing and/or damaged valves.

More things are possible, and I may not have covered them, but the above things are worth checking out if you really want to discover the problem. This should keep you busy for a few hours. Feedback on what you are finding as you delve into this will help guide us all better.

Good luck. I hope it is simple and you find it soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts