Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a 2004 Sonata with an automatic tranny. I know on some cars there's a button for engaging and disengaging the overdrive - is there one on mine, and if so, where is it ? I thought there would be a light or something on the dash that would light-up showing what the status of it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is no actual button for the OD, but you use the autostick mode. After moving the gear selecter to drive, you can push it to the right between the + and the -. While accelerating, push the gear selecter up (twards the +) and the transmission will shift up and when stopping, you can push it down (twards the -) but it will shift down automaticly. For example if you are going up a hill and want to shift down to have more power, just simply move the gear selecter to the autostick position (the the right) and push it down (twards the -) and it will shift down, and when you want to shift up again just move it up to the + or back to D. So an OD button is not necissary

EDIT- there is a light on the dash next to the D that tells you what number gear you are in

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
OK, that's what I was thinking (after having just been out driving it and going through the gears). So I'm guessing 1 thru 3 are like L1, L2, and D and 4 is the final drive/OD. Does that sound about right ? It's been quite a while since I've owned an auto, man they've advanced :)

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Hyundai sonata which is a 2003 does not have a OD button. On my dashboard it says ODO. Is that on or off? How do I turn it on?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If RPMs drop by 1-2% whilst staying in 4th this is the torque converter locking. 'Overdrive' is technically nothing else than switching from 3rd to 4th on a 4-speed A/T. Early 4-speed A/T are just classic 3-speeds (usually a Simpson planetary gearset) with an additional planetary gear for the overdrive functionality. Later ones like the F4A4x in question are more modern Ravigneaux/Lepelltier-gearset based, thus have no distinct 'Overdrive'-section working on 3rd gear only (making it gear #4). By design of such A/T and its control, an extra O/D off button is kinda pointless ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts