Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals need options/opinions here.
I have a santa with 3.5l engine need some advice / options etc.
last year about this time I had to replace the crank sensor and harmonic balancer.
After getting everything lined up etc and getting it running.Got it running and everything was fine for like a week or two. All of a sudden as I was driving it that is when it threw the harmonic balancer. I loss power from it not turning the alt etc was able to get it to side of road and all. It threw the harmonic balancer caz I had only hand tightened it ( tightened the bolt by hand til it started to turn the crankshaft so it wasn't tight enough I'm guessing) (I only have hand tools no power tools or air tools.) So when I finally decide to start working on it (about six months ago) I noticed that the timing gear for the crankshaft was also missing. So not only did it throw the balancer that came off too. I did notice that the back plate that attached to the gear was left on the crank shaft. (think that plate ran thru the sensor) (have a feeling it was that plate not the sensor ).
I know I'm probably going to have to or thinking I'm going to have to pull the heads and do a valve replacement on the full thing. (basically rebuild it). Or i will have to replace the engine with another engine. I would like to have my car back getting tired of driving my Sister's camry around. I have the timing gear and balancer but none of the other parts that I will need such as new valves stem seals etc. replacement engine is 300$ at a local u pull it place, but i have no way of knowing the mileage on it or a way to transport it.
So anyone have any advice on what I should do?? Should I say "fk it" and junk it or fix it and get it running to either sell or keep? I know if i can get it running again i can get $3000 for it (been offered that only if its running also I have been told by those "we buy junk cars" people they will only give me 170$ as is.)
Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, etc. ???

oh and btw you can make the timing gear holder tool. there is schematic on thing verse for 3d printing. (if you know a 3d printer person). actually its a file they run to make it. Thing verse is a 3d printing website.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Are you sure it bent valves? If so, I would replace with a salvage engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i am not sure if it bent the valves. I have not worked on it yet but going to start on it soon. I have an inspection camera that i planned on using that connects to a smartphone but have not tried it yet and need more than one person to be able to use it and look as im turning the crank or cam shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts