Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 3.5L. with about 90k on it.

This is my first vehicle, and also is my first time working on any vehicle besides refilling the window washer fluid or pumping gas etc. So far, I learned the inside and out of my break system by replacing the front & rear pads plus rear rotors (old pads toasted the rear rotors) and learned a bit about all the fluids etc.

Background information: Up until now, I have never owned my own car, nor have done anything to do with maintaining one. Once I purchased the vehicle I replaced the obvious, and after awhile I noticed that I wasn't getting quite that great of gas mileage. The engine sound & run fine, however I keep thinking I am getting low gas millage.

Here's the problem:

When I replaced my "front" 3 spark plugs (not the rear 3 under the intake manifold) the coil pack of the far right spark plug was literally loose and just sitting there. I really didn't take notice till after I replaced the spark plug and then tried to bolt the coil pack back down when I realized that the screw patterns didn't match.

Edit: Screw pictograms; a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Here is my question: Is it likely that this belongs to a coil under the intake manifold, where there is another coil sitting unbolted? Or will I need to buy a new coil to prevent a breakdown when this thing (currently not bolted down) becomes loose? The process to replace the other spark plugs will take me 3~ hours because I am a n00b. Could my low gas mileage problem be related to the old spark plugs & a loose coil?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
WRONG coil for application,,,,, PERIOD.

3.5L uses 3 of the same coil there at Bank 2, with wires going under intake to fire Bank 1.. Notice the incorrect boot on the wire there at #6.

Go buy you a Hyundai wire set and coil, and replace all the plugs and wires as a set.. Plugs is best replaced with NGK Platinum (OE plug).... or step up and upgrade to NGK IRIDIUM..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the solution!

I already have purchased a set of Bosch iridium fusions (hey, I live in Germany so it was easy to find them) but will need to hunt for the wire set. How much will the coil and wire set run me? I don't want to get ripped off, although I won't have to pay the VAT tax (have VAT forms)

Also, since this is the wrong coil, will this cause low fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There is a Hyundai dealer in Irving, Texas, USA, that sells over the internet. It's worth a try, even if you have to go through their "Contact Us" link:

www.hyundai-parts.com

What the heck, it's worth a try. :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here is correct system -

Didn't do good job getting all 3 in the pic, oh well...

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's an odd setup on these 3.5's. Bank 2 uses coil overs with old-school ignition wire feeds to bank 1? I don't think I've ever seen a setup like that. In regards to the original posters odd coil situation, it doesn't look like the OEM coils, but it must be working. He'd have a misfire code for that cyl if it wasn't- unless being in Germany, this is some 'super special' non-OBDII compliant vehicle?

To the OP, what exactly is the fuel mileage you're getting? These vehicles do fall within the economy range of this catagory, but they aren't fuel efficient. High teens (worst case) to the mid 20's (MPG) is typical.

Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all!

Went to the nearest Hyundai dealer today - turns out they won't work nor handle parts for US spec vehicles! I just ordered a new standard coil pack (after verifying on multiple websites that it is made for this engine and the screws will line up!) and Beck Arnley wire set.

I have been getting O.K (normal) gas mileage after I replaced the front bank of plugs. I bet once I get to the back ones, I will get a extra mile or so. I took it out on the autobahn today and got it up to ~90 without any problems. There has never been a check engine light on or problems to indicate the coil wasn't working. I just am freaked that it's just not bolted down at the moment.

Since this engine only uses 3 traditional spark plug wires (on order), can I go ahead and replace the back bank spark plugs in the meantime? I am on night shift, so it's can sleep in / break up the maintenance periods over two days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my 3 1/2 hour attempt to get the dam intake manifold ended in failure. Dam thing won't come off and even worse; there is a hose that connects off of the air intake that was electrical taped on and is also now just hanging.

I think It's time I give up and bring it in to the auto repair shop. There are bolts missing, other bolts I found are different sizes and stuff is fudged up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got all the way to the back five bolts on the manifold and could not get them off to save my life any idea what it will cost to have a shop do this before you get involved in this you need to find a way to torque off the back bolts bad angle

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did get the back bank plugs just a note have a new wire set ready at the same time so you can do as much for her (the suv) as you can clean all the ports and systems for better performance I got a lot of junk out of my intake

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have followed this thread and replacing d my wires and spark plugs but when my 3.5l 2004 Santa Fa warms up I loose power low idle seam to be only getting half power at times help
It only seams to happen when it's warm out side or the car has run for a while my idle runs at about 750 but when this happens it falls to 250

1 - 11 of 11 Posts