Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I swear I've tried searching here and google for this information and haven't found anywhere!
I have a 04 SF GLS 3.5L V6 which I'm planning to do soon a huge TLC, replacing all belts, tensioners, pulleys and
valve cover gaskets. However, I'm pretty sure valve cover bolt grommets also need to be replaced.
Please see pictures! Bolts are rusted, so grommets must be brittle !!. I'm also sure grommets and gaskets are original.

So my questions are: where can I find these valve cover bolt grommets? What are their part numbers?
Are there any equivalent ? I'm very scared on removing these bolts without having grommets on hand....

Thanks for any help! I'm really lost in here.
Lucas

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would not be scared of reusing the bolts and grommets, when I replaced my cover gaskets I did reuse them with no problems at all. The grommets have a neoprene insert under the metal top cap to help seal the hole should any oil get past the bolt threads which is rare if you use silicone sealant on both sides of the cover gasket. Just clean up the surface rust on the top caps and bolt heads and if you want you can put some black silicone under the neoprene insert and it will seal up fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advise. I've been continuing researching on this and yesterday I went to the local dealer to ask about these bolts/grommets. The parts manager looked Hyundai's system up and down and didn't find any grommet. So he asked a mechanic that told us those bots were redesigned and now they don't have a grommet. Then showed us some. Well.. I found that strange, because it has only a larger washer. So I came to the same conclusion: if I need to use a new bolt, I'll just apply Permatex 82180 Ultra Black and it should be fine.
Prices scared me the most! These are the part numbers:

• 22460-3B301 (17 pieces, $ 13.60 each)
  • 22460-39811 (5 pieces, $ 6.40 each)
I've found them at FourGreen. Send them an email two days ago, no response until now.

Well... anyway, if those bolts don't need grommets anymore, that explains why I haven't found them :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 3.5l too and when (about 2/3 years ago) i did the valve cover gasket on both sides the replacement came with new grommets. just look at the part you order and make sure it comes with grommets too. i think i got mine on ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts