Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 4 cyl. engine. When it warms up it pings. It does not when I start off and the engine is cold. It does not when I accelerate in neutral, only when it is under load - more under moderate load and disappears after a second on hard acceleration. The check engine light is on most of the time, but some days not and it still pings. The engine temperature is normal and the transmission does not over-rev when changing gears. Engine power appears normal. But the engine does not idle smoothly.

As it doesn't detonate when cold I figured it wouldn't be the timing being out. Checking online I saw other possible causes were the anti-knock sensor or downline from catalytic converter O2 sensor, or the cat. itself. With the symptoms I mentioned, what do you think I should try first, or are there other possible causes and do I need to get a code print-out to know for sure?

So far I’ve:
Checked catalytic converter for external damage- didn't seem to be damaged.
Tried to pull out what I thought was CO2 knock sensor immediately below engine coolant temperature sensor - Pressed release with my wrench but couldn't get it off to see if dirty. Noticed wiring protector separated slightly from clip but could see wires still attached.
Noticed clip on CO1 camshaft position sensor was cracked, but wires still attached.

I'd appreciate any experience with these symptoms and indicated repair.

·
Registered
66 Posts
can you scan for codes? could be bad fuel, vacuum leaks or low fuel pressure. check the spark plugs and use the ones recommended by the manufacturer. you can try putting some octane booster in the fuel tank to see if the problem goes away, or get higher octane fuel. you can also go to you tube and look on how to check the knock sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I got a code reading tool and it came up with only one error code: a PO122 code, turn off ignition, then on again, same code: Would this mean the throttle position sensor is the likely cause of the pinging? If so, should I just adjust it's position or replace it? If the TPS is not the likely cause I'd start on the other suggested troubleshooting while waiting for the part.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Unplug the TPS and run the car. Did the ping go away? It should be a little slow to respond, but if the TPS is the cause of your pinging, the pinging should go away when the TPS is unplugged because without data, the computer goes into default mode, and the car continues to run. It estimates what angle the throttle plate is at instead of getting a constant reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the TPS wire. Looked normal. Car detonation increased. Put it back next day. Detonation mostly disappeared for 2 days, then came back. I'm figuring must be the TPS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed the TPS, voltage meter showed voltage 600 mVolts in correct range (was 300 mVolts with old part - slightly in correct range). Checked codes again. Still getting P0122 error code with the new TPS installed. Car still pinging. Can continue troubleshooting, but wondering why I'm still getting the same error code with the new part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2004 Santa Fe detonation

Unplug the TPS and run the car. Did the ping go away? It should be a little slow to respond, but if the TPS is the cause of your pinging, the pinging should go away when the TPS is unplugged because without data, the computer goes into default mode, and the car continues to run. It estimates what angle the throttle plate is at instead of getting a constant reading.
I suppose you were right. With the TPS disconnected the car went on pinging. Since I was still getting a P0122 - bad TPS error code - I replaced the part. But the pinging is still going on. Voltmeter shows 600 mV with ignition on. A mechanic I asked for an opinion said with the car running I should have a steady voltage increase up to 4.8 v. if the TPS is good. But reference voltage at the TPS hot wire with the engine running was .55 v. I accelerated the engine slowly and the voltage smoothly increased to 1 volt at moderate acceleration and 1.25 volt at higher acceleration. It never rose beyond that (to 4.8 volts). He suggested it might be a bad part, since it wasn't OEM. But I'm not sure, since it keeps pinging with the TPS unplugged. You're suggesting that it must be another cause.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts