Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm wondering if doing a good ol' Italian tuneup might be worthwhile for my 2004 2.7L. I've been throwing a P0420 code for a few years now, and now I can't even clear it without it coming back very soon. I have a bad/clogged cat according to the shop. My fuel economy is poor. I want to trade it in/sell it in a few months so I'm thinking about throwing some premium gas and fuel injector cleaner in and taking her out for the tune-up. I'll clear the codes, get her warmed up, WOT it to redline, shift, WOT to redline, repeat. I'll do this a few times up and down the highway to see if I can't clear some gunk out of my cat and keep my codes clear. My resale value is shot if I can't fix this issue. Anyone have any experience with this? Problems? Tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey guys, I'm wondering if doing a good ol' Italian tuneup might be worthwhile for my 2004 2.7L. I've been throwing a P0420 code for a few years now, and now I can't even clear it without it coming back very soon. I have a bad/clogged cat according to the shop. My fuel economy is poor. I want to trade it in/sell it in a few months so I'm thinking about throwing some premium gas and fuel injector cleaner in and taking her out for the tune-up. I'll clear the codes, get her warmed up, WOT it to redline, shift, WOT to redline, repeat. I'll do this a few times up and down the highway to see if I can't clear some gunk out of my cat and keep my codes clear. My resale value is shot if I can't fix this issue. Anyone have any experience with this? Problems? Tips? Thanks.[/QUOTE

Do you plan on keeping the car? The 2.7 is a great motor. I have 250K on my 05 Sportage.

Beating on it will not fix your cat issue. It is probably shot from a lack of ever tuning it up. Eastern catalytic makes a good aftermarket cat. If you change the cat, change the upstream O2s as well. NTK only.

Bad mileage? How bad in actual MPGs?
How about give it a real tune up? IE: Air filter, change the oil, plugs, wires, PCV, clean the IAC and throttle body, o2 sensors, maybe even change tranny fluid etc. :wink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm getting about 14-16 mpg in the city. Way worse than it used to be. I only have 130k on it. It's been given a tuneup at the shop within the last year. I haven't done the O2 sensors, however...

I wasn't planning on keeping this car for more than 4-5 more months. I'm getting my grad degree and a big boy job, so I want a Jeep Unlimited :). I was looking to sell/trade-in my Santa Fe.

Is doing an Italian tune-up really that harmful? Going up to redline should be totally doable. I don't really see the downside in giving it a shot, but that's why I'm asking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just trade it in then. Your not going to get much then anyway.

Personally, I don't like redline loading any motor with over 100K. However, if you think it will help, go for it. Toyota used to do a CAT burn procedure whereas you remove a plug wire on the bank your working with and rev the motor at 2500 rpm for a few minutes. The raw fuel being dumped into the CAT is supposed to help burn off contaminates in the CAT. It gets well over 700 degrees doing this so you have to be careful not to over do it. I tried it when my bank 2 cat was giving me the efficiency code and it seemed to help for a month or so but ultimately these pre cats do fail and I did change it a few months later. 130K is a little early for one of the pre-CATs to fail though.

You could maybe see what your fuel trim is for that rear bank with a decent scanner. If it is way off from the front bank you could just have an intake leak or an injector issue. Run the tank down to about a 1/4 and run a full can of Berryman's Chemtool through it. If the injectors are dirty, they won't be after this. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts