Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meticulously followed instructions for replacement of the timing belt, water pump, and crankshaft position sensor. I purchased the vehicle knowing that there was an issue. It would start and run very rough and unable to get over 35 mph. The codes said it was the crankshaft position sensor, So I went ahead and purchased the kit to replace all the belts, water pump, and the crankshaft position sensor. I also replaced the spark plugs, wires, and the two coil packs. After getting it all back together it will not start, it won't even pop. I have checked for a spark but there doesn't appear to be any spark to the plugs at all. I have retraced my steps by tearing it back down to check everything again, and checked all the wiring that I had to remove or move around to accomplish my tasks. I have tested the crankshaft position sensor as best I know how from instructions on YouTube and it appears OK. I am not very well versed in the use of a multi-meter. One thing I did NOT do which is actually the very first step, was to remove the battery cable from the battery while I did the whole repair. I simply forgot to do it. As I said, I meticulously made sure my timing marks were correct, making sure that they did not move at all during the removal and replacement of the timing belts. It is apparently an electrical problem, but I don't have positive proof of that. I have a minimal amateur shop with a wide variety of mechanics tools. I am looking for suggestions, as well as instructions as to how to continue from this point.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sometimes wiring can pull out of a pin on a engine wiring harness connector but insulation is left behind making it look like the wire is connected.

Check all fuses and see if there is a master fusible link that may be blown.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I meticulously followed instructions for replacement of the timing belt, water pump, and crankshaft position sensor. I purchased the vehicle knowing that there was an issue. It would start and run very rough and unable to get over 35 mph. The codes said it was the crankshaft position sensor, So I went ahead and purchased the kit to replace all the belts, water pump, and the crankshaft position sensor. I also replaced the spark plugs, wires, and the two coil packs. After getting it all back together it will not start, it won't even pop. I have checked for a spark but there doesn't appear to be any spark to the plugs at all. I have retraced my steps by tearing it back down to check everything again, and checked all the wiring that I had to remove or move around to accomplish my tasks. I have tested the crankshaft position sensor as best I know how from instructions on YouTube and it appears OK. I am not very well versed in the use of a multi-meter. One thing I did NOT do which is actually the very first step, was to remove the battery cable from the battery while I did the whole repair. I simply forgot to do it. As I said, I meticulously made sure my timing marks were correct, making sure that they did not move at all during the removal and replacement of the timing belts. It is apparently an electrical problem, but I don't have positive proof of that. I have a minimal amateur shop with a wide variety of mechanics tools. I am looking for suggestions, as well as instructions as to how to continue from this point.
Like the guy above said, check your fuses, could very well have blown on working with power on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your suggestions, I will be doing your suggested tasks today and will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the CEL come on with the key? Do you read rpm's while cranking?
Yes, the check engine light comes on when I turn the key on, along with all the other pre-start lights on the dash. The tach shows no rpm's when I crank it. It doesn't even budge.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
As folk have already suggested, check ALL the fuses.
But don't go pulling them all off the fusebox to look. Just switch the ignition on and probe the test points on top of each fuse with your voltmeter. Both test points on each fuse should show the same voltage. If the voltage on the test points is different that fuse is blown and should be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As folk have already suggested, check ALL the fuses.
But don't go pulling them all off the fusebox to look. Just switch the ignition on and probe the test points on top of each fuse with your voltmeter. Both test points on each fuse should show the same voltage. If the voltage on the test points is different that fuse is blown and should be replaced.
Awesome, thank you for that hint. I'm going to start at it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thank you for that hint. I'm going to start at it now.
I turn the key on but there is no voltage to any fuse. There is 12v at the battery. I tried a continuity test on the points shown in the image and there was no power thru either of the two items. But there is 12 volts at the terminals for the ECU when I take it out, but I haven't tested the relay yet.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
I think your making a mistake because the engine wouldn't be able to crank if there was no power on any of the engine bay fuses and no power on those 10mm bolts your pointing to in your photo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your making a mistake because the engine wouldn't be able to crank if there was no power on any of the engine bay fuses and no power on those 10mm bolts your pointing to in your photo.
Yeah I think I'm doing something wrong there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cleared the codes prior to trying to start it again and now it's showing a code;
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit. I'm going to pull the power steering pump off again and make sure I didn't pinch the wires to the CPS. It's an awful tight fit for those wires.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It is obvious to me that something the OP did has brought this situation about.
Meticulous?? Maybe if he was then it would start? ...LOL!!!

Sorry having fun at your expense

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is obvious to me that something the OP did has brought this situation about.
Meticulous?? Maybe if he was then it would start? ...LOL!!!

Sorry having fun at your expense
It's ok, I deserve some fun punishment. I obviously did something wrong and I'm paying for it now.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I cleared the codes prior to trying to start it again and now it's showing a code;
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit. I'm going to pull the power steering pump off again and make sure I didn't pinch the wires to the CPS. It's an awful tight fit for those wires.
Did it work?
Hoping for a simple fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem solved. The crankshaft position sensor wiring got pinched and sliced off. The routing of the wiring is very precarious in that it is a very tight fit and when re-installing the components around the wiring it got pinched off. It took me a while to get it back together only due to my own physical ability or lack thereof. So I can only suggest that you be very careful when installing the new sensor. Thank you everybody for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts