Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone offering me a 2004 Santa Fe.

"2004 Santa fe with a 3.5L V6,Sun roof,PW,PL,Cruse control,Power mirrors,Cloth seats,Front wheel Drive,with16,714 miles. Garage kept in excellent condition."

and was wondering if their are any issues I should watch out for. What has been the typical MPG on this vehicle actual. I was going to get a newer van with AWD but this is tempting.

Is the height of the under body the same with the 2wd as with an AWD? Is the AWD vehicles any different except for the AWD .

Does the 100k warranty 10 year transfer?

In the past I was under the impression their were lots of quality improvements in 2007 but after looking over this board the 2004 seems to be a pretty decent car. Am I missing something? I want a van which will be reliable for lots of long distance travel.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
OMG I hate you so much...just kidding. :bwekk: But seriously, I would give anything to find that exact combination with such low mileage. First-gen SFs were the go-to vehicle for the road warrior crowd (myself included) so many of them have well over 150,000 miles; some over a quarter million. Then add to the fact that most people didn't garage them or take care of them cosmetically and most of them are really beat up by now.. The sunroof was a very rare feature on the 1st Gen models regardless of trim so finding a 3.5 with cloth and sunroof is an EXTREMELY rare option combo (I have only seen one myself). But to find one with only 16K is a once-in-a-lifetime find so I would jump on this in a heartbeat.

Mileage for the 3.5 FWD is around 17 city, 22 to 23 highway so it's not great but not terrible, either and ground clearance under the FWD is the same as the AWD model except you don't have the rear differential hanging down. The 10/100 warranty does not transfer in full but instead becomes the remainder of 5 years/60,000 miles for the next owner. You wouldn't get much in terms of warranty coverage, only what's left of this year depending on when the car was first registered.

In terms of problems, by 2004 Hyundai had ironed out most of the niggling little issues present in the first models. If the car is a New Mexico original, the rear trailing arm rust recall doesn't apply to you. The only thing to really watch out for is the timing belt but that's not until 60,000.

If you choose not to go after this car, I might just have to. What color combo is it?

·
1,914 Posts
That mileage is truly amazing and the Santy will last a long time. Just make sure it was never in an accident or anything like that. first gen. Santa Fe's are great vehicles, there are many with well over 100k even 2001's which was the first model year.

Only thing I can tell you to watch out for is hyundai's paint was horrible in 04.

·
Registered
279 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Apr 30 2010, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318362
Only thing I can tell you to watch out for is hyundai's paint was horrible in 04.
THE **** YOU SAY!! My paint is **** near perfect (aside from the odd stone chip). Good find on an 04 with that low on the mileage!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You must be one of the lucky ones, Spawn. I have absolutely babied my '04 and the clearcoat is peeling off the plastic cladding. :(

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (Spawn @ May 2 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318807
THE **** YOU SAY!! My paint is **** near perfect (aside from the odd stone chip). Good find on an 04 with that low on the mileage!
hey spawn,

are you the one with the tricked out blue/silver santy? I recognize your name from your license plate, i think. Your Santy is by far the best looking I have seen!

Hyundai's paint was really bad from around 2001-2005. Just look at any 01-04 Santy or 02-05 Sonata and a good portion of them will have faded mirrors and door handles or just paint missing from the door handles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 2 2010, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318882
hey spawn,

are you the one with the tricked out blue/silver santy? I recognize your name from your license plate, i think. Your Santy is by far the best looking I have seen!

Hyundai's paint was really bad from around 2001-2005. Just look at any 01-04 Santy or 02-05 Sonata and a good portion of them will have faded mirrors and door handles or just paint missing from the door handles.
That's my baby, the one and only Blue and Silver Santa fe I know of ;). I can't comment on the cladding as all mine was custom painted as part of the purchase deal when I bought her new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts