Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Check Engine" light was on. The dealer says there is a pair of gears in the Intake Manifold that affect high speed emissions, by opening & closing as needed. They are located in the rear passenger-side of the engine. One is metal and the other plastic. Apparently the plastic one is stripped. The part is not available from Hyundai. The only service option is to replace the entire Intake Manifold ... for ... wait for it ... $2,000.

Anyone know if this part is actually available elsewhere?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Yikes...that is one thing that I do not like about Hyundai; they always make you buy the big part you don't need just so you can get the little part you do need. At this point I'd consider calling around your local wrecking yards or U-Pull It places to see if there is one you can cannibalize. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Just an idea ... is it possible to disassemble the manifold and get a machine shop to make a new gear out of brass?

Or have I had too much coffee this morning? :460:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Randall L. Rike @ Nov 27 2010, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375074
Both excellent suggestions .... thanks.
Thugh you do not list it in your "Drives" description or call it out in your post fully.... I WILL assume you have a 2004 Santa Fe with 3.5L.......

The gear set you state is not an emission control.. it is for the variable intake runner.. for low end torque, we restrict the size of the intake runners to maintain air velocity for bottom end power, then at high speed, we open the runners to allow for max air flow for top end... same idea as Toyota' Variable Intake System found on GTS Corolla/GTS Celica, and MR2 Turbo..

What is happening is PCM is commanding rotation, but the sensor for plate angle is seeing no change of angle, hence the DTC for Varible Intake control..

How do they come up with $2000, the part is approx $500 MSRP.. add a couple 3 gaskets, 3hr labor tops... maybe add scan tool time,,, but $2000 ????????????

May consider while intake off, replace plugs and wire set...should be minimal add-on as intake already off, or buy plugs and wires, and when they aint looking, swipe the old intake and set the new inake there for re-install..

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My apologies for not providing more complete info in my profile. I'm a frequent participant on another forum, for Film & Video Production, and I should have known better. Also, thanks or the pix, and especially for the part number of the repair part. Here's how the complete day went ...

I removed the instrument cluster to replace a bulb. When I put it back together, the "Check Engine" light was on. This seemed like an odd coincidence. I stopped by the local Hyundai dealer and asked if unplugging the instrument cluster could have caused the Check Engine light to turn on. The service writer said that was unlikely, but offered to do a free quickie scan to see what the problem was. In 5 minutes he drove my car back, and said there was a fairly serous problem. He explained what I wrote in the original post. He very specifically explained that individual parts WERE NOT AVAILABLE* from Hyundai, and THE ONLY OPTION* was to replace the entire Intake Manifold Assembly. The cost for that repair, according to the dealer service writer, will be $2,000. Meanwhile, as you explained, my local dealer parts department just confirmed the part is $457.03 and can be in this week.

To clarify, does the Intake Manifold need to be removed to install the "Induction Control Valve Assembly"?

"... swipe the old intake and set the new inake there for re-install.. ..."

Do I need a new Intake Manifold, or just the control valve ...?

Thanks again for the detailed info.

* Yes, I know that typing in all caps is like yelling in a forum. I'm a bit unhappy right now with my dealer service writer.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your repair will be the part seen in the pics posted previously... the part number posted is the upper intake seen in the pics.

You will need -35500 ?? plenum gasket, a throttle body gasket, and an EGR valve gasket. While it is apart, you are there in the open to replace the plugs and wires,,, as plenum is off being swapped anyway.

You cannot service the valve assembly seperate, it is all timed out at manufacture.. we not supposed to mess with them at dealer level.. just replace the plenum as seen above.

I have another unit here that is torn apart for the aluminum scrap I can take pics of..

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Should be NO MORE than 3hr shop labor... I can do it in a little over an hr...

Look up above at post #7 .. I added pic with text... $457 buys the complete part seen in the pic.. that is how it comes from Hyundai-Kia.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Randall L. Rike @ Nov 27 2010, 10:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375211
Thanks for the additional pic, and clarification. Do you work for a Hyundai dealership?

There is a rumor going around that I might be a Hyundai service person... Dont tell anybody, because I am hiding from those who might know me or be looking for me..... It's our secret :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK ... shhhhh

If I wanted to have the local tech verify the engine scan results, to make sure the recommendation to replace this part is accurate, what result would we be seeing on the scan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2004 Santa Fe with continuing "check engine" light problems. Have taken it to 3 different Hyundai dealers and a couple of mechanics. NO ONE can tell me with any certainty what is causing this. The car is running fine....now....but a few months ago I had a big problem with it hesitating, stalling and generally undependable. At one point it wouldn't start and I had it taken by tow truck to a dealer. He started it up and drove it for 30 minutes and it didn't act up once! This intake manifold, could it be the culprit? I have 79,000 miles and the 80,000 warranty on some of the emissions parts is drawing near. Would the manifold be covered under "emissions" or the 100,000 mile power train warranty? A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sharon H

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have another question: (engine light is currently on). As I stated before, 3 Hyundai service departments and 2 mechanics have used their professional diagnostic meters, checked the error codes and still can't pinpoint the problem. Can you tell me what testing can determine if the intake manifold is at fault? Thanks again.

Sharon H

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (prayerwarrior @ Nov 28 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375383
I have another question: (engine light is currently on). As I stated before, 3 Hyundai service departments and 2 mechanics have used their professional diagnostic meters, checked the error codes and still can't pinpoint the problem. Can you tell me what testing can determine if the intake manifold is at fault? Thanks again.

Sharon H
Randall' problem is unique to the 3.5L,,,, not applicable to the 2.7L

You gots a 2.7L with intermittent stalling.... I can tell you with 98% certainty that your crank position sensor is shorting out via the 3 wires inside the main tube from sensor to connector.. Everyday item with 2.7L that has miles and age due to exposure to heat cycles.

New tech beside me called me down to Sonata (2.7L) and ask where the crank sensor was,, I ask him what complaint was, he tells me stalling... I ask if it is running, he says yes.... I reach up in and grab pig tail and wiggle it,,,,,,,,,,,, BAM........ engine stalled right there... told him to replace the sensor and the fuse I just popped for him.

Pics below show some of the sensors I have replace here in recent past.. note the broken black tube, and the exposed 3 wires inside that short out and stall engine, or make it buck and jerk..

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Randall L. Rike @ Nov 28 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375301
OK ... shhhhh

If I wanted to have the local tech verify the engine scan results, to make sure the recommendation to replace this part is accurate, what result would we be seeing on the scan?

P1159 Variable Intake Motor Rotation SNS

VIS(Variable Intake System) is used to increase torque at lower rpm and increase horsepower at higher rpm. Sigma 3.5ℓ engine has two intake runners for each cylinder. The primary intake runner is a long, thin tube in which the intake air passes through. This allows a strong stream of air to blast into the cylinder, helping low-end torque.

The secondary intake runner is a short, fat tube. This allows a large volume of air to be sucked into the engine, increasing high-end horsepower.

At lower rpm range, the engine does not provide enough suction into the cylinders, starving the engine of much needed oxygen. The skinny tube helps blast the air (increase air velocity) into the cylinder for more oxygen. At higher rpm, the engine has plenty of suction but the intake runner is too small (restriction) to provide the oxygen it needs.

DTC Description

If the present position of Variable Intake System could not appoach a target position (as commanded by PCM) , this DTC is set.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
QUOTE (prayerwarrior @ Nov 28 2010, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375382
I have a 2004 Santa Fe with continuing "check engine" light problems. Have taken it to 3 different Hyundai dealers and a couple of mechanics. NO ONE can tell me with any certainty what is causing this. The car is running fine....now....but a few months ago I had a big problem with it hesitating, stalling and generally undependable. At one point it wouldn't start and I had it taken by tow truck to a dealer. He started it up and drove it for 30 minutes and it didn't act up once! This intake manifold, could it be the culprit? I have 79,000 miles and the 80,000 warranty on some of the emissions parts is drawing near. Would the manifold be covered under "emissions" or the 100,000 mile power train warranty? A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sharon H
Sharon, do you have anything with the fault codes on it, such as a service report? The issue with the crankshaft position sensor is well known with the 2.7 V6 engines, but it's hard to have too much information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Should be NO MORE than 3hr shop labor... I can do it in a little over an hr...

Look up above at post #7 .. I added pic with text... $457 buys the complete part seen in the pic.. that is how it comes from Hyundai-Kia.
Is there a way to test the intake gear i feel im have the same problem with the variable intake control i was able to find an upper intake manifold used for $125

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Check the date and start a new thread. You won't hear from sbr711...it has been over a yr and he may have met his Maker. Last seen: Jul 30, 2019

1 - 20 of 20 Posts