Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2004 Hyundai Tiburon will not start - it does not crank, just makes one loud click sound. I can see that the timing belt slightly moves as well. I have pulled off all the covers and filmed the noise as well as the engine and uploaded this to Vimeo (/286801563).

Has anyone had a similar problem and would know what the cause could be? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Doesn't look like the starter is the problem.
Have you checked that the battery is fully charged?
Do you know anyone who might be able to give you a jump start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.

I have had intermittent starting issues with this car for the past couple years (car will crank but not turn over however eventually turns on) but this is the first time it has made only a loud click noise.

I haven't checked the battery yet however I do have a portable jump starter lying around somewhere, will locate this and update once I have given it a go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Cyclic clicking like card in bicycle spoke says weak battery,, crank - no fire could be battery voltage drop below 10v and not allow modules to turn on,,

Single solid click-clunk be indicative of starter fault,, solenoid clunck but connect power through to run starter motor

BTW ---> Profile and post text incomplete,, 2004 Tiburon has (2) engine available in that chassis,, 2.0L 4 cylinder,, and a 2.7L V6...

Each sports it' own quirks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was unable to jump start the original battery in the car however I was able to replace the battery with a battery from a working car and the exact same fault is occurring. I measured the voltage on the original battery and it is at a constant 12V.

It is a single solid click-clunk (each click in the video was a separate attempt at trying to turn the car on).

Sorry, I have updated details in profile - It is a 2.7L V6.

If this rules out the battery, will I need to look at leads to starter motor next or starter motor itself?

UPDATE: Original battery was put back into car and leads to battery were tightened. I tried to turn the car on and it began to make a cranking noise but would not turn over until acceleration was eventually applied. Car now turns on and off okay.

As mentioned above, this is not the first time I have an issues with the car not turning on - the usual intermittent issue is that it will crank and not turn over until after I've tried a couple times, waited a short while or applied acceleration. I have been told this could be due to the Starter Motor, Solenoid or Fuel Pressure Regulator. Is it worth getting these replaced?

Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of different and probably unrelated issues.

The issue you show in the video looks like a problem with the starter motor's power supply, preventing the engine from cranking over.
If the engine will sometimes crank over OK but not fire up unless you crack open the throttle, that is a totally different problem.

Neither issue sounds like a fault with the starter motor or it's solenoid to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. The car was running okay since this event but now it will recreate this same issue every couple days so it has now become an intermittent problem..

The problem is always the same each time:
1. Remote locking/unlocking will suddenly stop working.
2. Unlocking car with keys triggers the car alarm, hazard lights start blinking
3. Car will not turn on, just that same click noise each attempt

I have figured out a fix where if I turn the electronics on and wait a couple minutes and then try to turn the car on, the car will crank and turn over instantly. I then have to recalibrate the keys to enable remote locking again. This will either happen overnight, or if the car has been driven and allowed to sit for a while.

If this does not sound like the starter motor or solenoid playing up, does it sound like a problem with the electronics of the car instead? I did have the engine of the car replaced a couple months ago so I am hoping this will not be another costly fix..

Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Can be starter wiring problem. The replaced engine usually come with starter, and the guy may not did the job right. He may just soldered the wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you, it is looking like I need to have someone look at the starter motor. I've now had both my brake lights stop working all of a sudden.. They have been replaced recently + I've had someone look at the bulbs and they are still fine - is this another electrical/wiring issue I am experiencing as well?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts