Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just purchased the above car a few days ago. It is very. Thirsty (around 15.5 litres per 100 kms). I noticed that the rear wheel discs/drums get very hot to the touch and on first drive in morning there is a scratching sound coming from the back but goes away as soon as the brake pedal is pressed and released.
Could this be the handbrake not releasing properly on first drive? Or the callipers are not releasing.
Can anyone throw some light on this please.
Thank you
Ike.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Hi all. I just purchased the above car a few days ago. It is very. Thirsty (around 15.5 litres per 100 kms). I noticed that the rear wheel discs/drums get very hot to the touch and on first drive in morning there is a scratching sound coming from the back but goes away as soon as the brake pedal is pressed and released.
Could this be the handbrake not releasing properly on first drive? Or the callipers are not releasing.
Can anyone throw some light on this please.
Thank you
Ike.
If they are getting very hot, and you aren't familiar with doing your own brakes- you need to take it into a brake shop and have them look it over. You shouldn't mess around with bad brakes.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi ike,
You answered your own questions.
When the rear wheel discs gets very hot it means the brake always / most of time is engaging.
So you should (let) check this and get it fixed.
Maybe also a good time to renew the brake oil.
Good luck,
Paul

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
As the rear calipers do not do much of the braking work, the slides do not move much and can get dirty/corroded, causing them to stick on and overheat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts