Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my 2004 GLS 3.5 L w/ 68000 miles. After the SUV warms up for a few minutes I can hear a whine or rattle on the passenger side. I noticed a little power steering fluid leaked out the top of the reservoir (a few little bubbles in the oil). Then reading on the HMA website it says the filter in the reservoir can get clogged and restrict the flow. I took the reservoir off and flushed it out then replaced with new oil.
Unfortunately this did not fix the issue the noise is still there. It’s most prevalent when you turn but the noise also picks up a little when you hit the gas. I have checked for hose leaks but cannot find one.

My next step is to have the steering pump changed out. While the mechanics in there I am going to have him check the hoses/pulleys really close and look around for another leaks anywhere.

Anybody have any other ideas? Noise is annoying but the steering works fine.

Thanks.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My filter screen got so clogged up that I eventually suffered boil-overs that left pools of PS fluid in the engine compartment and on my driveway. The screen itself can't be replaced so you'll have to have the entire tank swapped out for a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
PS reservoir screen question and thoughts?

I had my ps pump replaced by the dealer about two years ago and about 7 months ago a small ps hose was leaking because it rusted out and it was replaced at a garage. Now I noticed the reservoir is all wet from top to bottom and a small pool on its bracket, I wiped it last week and its covered again so I guess its boiling over now. Odd thing is my fluid is still right at the proper line and I haven't needed to add fluid. I hear a slight whine if I listen closely but actually it seems to be more of a whine after I had drove it on a 2 hour highway drive. Then its low whine again after its sits a while. So, thanks to you guys I got the impression it could be the screen in the reservoir. I went to my usual garage who did the hose to get their opinion and price to fix. The garage owner said they he didn't even know these trucks had screens in the ps reservoir, most vehicles don't? he asked where is it (I showed him the TSB I printed out which shows where.) He said he wouldn't have another guess so if I want to go to Hyundai and get a new reservoir because that's cheaper then if he gets the part, (I had said the screen does not come out to clean) and his mechanic could put it in. He also said he felt it could wait and I shouldn't worry about it if the fluid is not getting low or the whine loud. I am not comfortable leaving it fearing maybe the fluid if the screen is clogged may not be getting enough fluid to the pump, is that possible and am I right to think it shouldn't wait???

I m low on funds so waiting would be nice but I do not want to have to have a place put in another ps pump. I called my local dealer he said $76 for the part. He though it would match a few other years, but upon looking up the part with the vin # was surprised to see it wasn't the same as what he had in stock and would have to be ordered. I kinda think $76 is a lot for it but if they are using the vin # to get the part and it mattered it seems like the dealer is my only option for getting the correct part for my 2004 3.5 Santa Fe. The garage said it would probably only take a half hour to put in and labor only about $40. I'm self diagnosing this so I'm unsure if I even possibly correct that it is a clogged screen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i did mine with atf

I cleaned mine with brake parts cleaner, the flush the rack with atf.
no more wine or spill out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this problem last year. Actually I did need a new power steering pump and hoses, but the reservior screen was also clogged.

First the mechanic tried flushing, re-flushing and cleaning the screen, but it wasn't doing the trick. I eventually had him replace the entire reservoir, and it seemed to work. I guess the screens can be very difficult to fully un-clog once they get to a certain point.

The replacement reservoir was surprisingly hard to find. My mechanic had to special order it, I believe from Hyundai, and I had to wait a while for it to come in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've fixed the problem on both my Sonata and Santa Fe by pulling the reservoir, cleaning the crap out of it on the inside with brake or carb cleaner and then doing a series of drains and flushes of the system.

I'd fill the newly cleaned reservoir with fresh fluid, cycle the steering wheel through full range of motion for about 10 cycles, and then drain the now dirty fluid from the reservoir and clean again with another round of carb cleaner. Allow to dry, service and repeat.

Through the drain and flush procedure, leave the reservoir unmounted to make the cleaning easier.

I run about 3 quarts through like this and it does the trick. It's a cheap solution and just takes some time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 santa fe oil leaking through the reservoir I am trying to do a DIY to save money, my mechanic checked pump and said its fine but I went on youtube and saw problem similar and they say its the O Ring please advice if this is possible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts