Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My wife's 2004 Elantra is having an overheating issue. It started out small, stays about 40-45% hot on normal days.

Near the end of last summer the A/C would start blowing warm if in idle for too long. Rev'ing up the engine would usually kick on something and it would blow cool for a while. Since fall/winter was coming it wasn't a big deal, something to look at later. (Not sure if this is related).

About a month ago it would start overheating, creeping up into the 60-70% hot range. My wife claims if she got the engine over 3k RPM something would "kick on" and it would go back down to the normal 40-45% range.

Last weekend I was driving the family around on some errands and it started to redline on the highway. I got off the highway and babied it to the closest in-laws house. I noticed the upper radiator hose was leaking coolant.

I let it cool down and babied it home. It got to redlining the few side street miles I had to drive, but I parked it at that point. Replaced the hose.

A neighbor of mine (ex-mechanic) and I looked for a bleeder valve on this car and didn't see one. So I drove it a few miles, got it hot (heater blowing cold), and we removed the radiator cap and she was pretty dry. Filled it back up with coolant, took it for another spin. Same result, filled back up with coolant. Drove it again. This time it stayed normal heat until I started going a bit faster (50 MPH) on some hill roads. It started hitting 75% heat so I turned around and coasted back down the hills. Temp returned to normal levels.

Stopped by the house for a while, coolant levels seems ok. Took it for a quick couple mile spin on the highway. It starts to redline near the end of the couple miles, but comes back down on the side streets. Heater blows hot.

Not 100% sure what the issue here is. My friend seems to think it's one of three things, 1) temp sensor going out, 2) blockage/restriction in the radiator, or 3) blockage/restriction in the heating element. I'm hoping its the temp sensor (12$ part), which is what I'll probably try next.

My questions. 1) Is there something on the Elantra that commonly goes out and causes this situation? Mainly, something that's a known issue, like crappy temp sensors? 2) Am I headed in the right direction with the temp sensor? 3) Is it possible that we didn't bleed out all the air from the system? Does the Elantra have this issue commonly? I know on my Honda there's a valve specifically for this, since it seems Honda (at least 1994 Civics) have air issues.

Thanks for any help.

Seth

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (sconn @ Apr 18 2010, 11:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314519
Hello everyone,

My wife's 2004 Elantra is having an overheating issue. It started out small, stays about 40-45% hot on normal days.

Near the end of last summer the A/C would start blowing warm if in idle for too long. Rev'ing up the engine would usually kick on something and it would blow cool for a while. Since fall/winter was coming it wasn't a big deal, something to look at later. (Not sure if this is related).

About a month ago it would start overheating, creeping up into the 60-70% hot range. My wife claims if she got the engine over 3k RPM something would "kick on" and it would go back down to the normal 40-45% range.

Last weekend I was driving the family around on some errands and it started to redline on the highway. I got off the highway and babied it to the closest in-laws house. I noticed the upper radiator hose was leaking coolant.

I let it cool down and babied it home. It got to redlining the few side street miles I had to drive, but I parked it at that point. Replaced the hose.

A neighbor of mine (ex-mechanic) and I looked for a bleeder valve on this car and didn't see one. So I drove it a few miles, got it hot (heater blowing cold), and we removed the radiator cap and she was pretty dry. Filled it back up with coolant, took it for another spin. Same result, filled back up with coolant. Drove it again. This time it stayed normal heat until I started going a bit faster (50 MPH) on some hill roads. It started hitting 75% heat so I turned around and coasted back down the hills. Temp returned to normal levels.

Stopped by the house for a while, coolant levels seems ok. Took it for a quick couple mile spin on the highway. It starts to redline near the end of the couple miles, but comes back down on the side streets. Heater blows hot.

Not 100% sure what the issue here is. My friend seems to think it's one of three things, 1) temp sensor going out, 2) blockage/restriction in the radiator, or 3) blockage/restriction in the heating element. I'm hoping its the temp sensor (12$ part), which is what I'll probably try next.

My questions. 1) Is there something on the Elantra that commonly goes out and causes this situation? Mainly, something that's a known issue, like crappy temp sensors? 2) Am I headed in the right direction with the temp sensor? 3) Is it possible that we didn't bleed out all the air from the system? Does the Elantra have this issue commonly? I know on my Honda there's a valve specifically for this, since it seems Honda (at least 1994 Civics) have air issues.

Thanks for any help.

Seth
i'd try replacing the thermostat 1st

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the lack of response. The thermostat was stuck; swapping it out completely fixed the issues I was having.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts