Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says the 2004 Elantra only has a/c at idle and low speed.

It started with the a/c stopping, and a mechanic gave me as story about the wiring going to the compressor being faulty. He jumped a wire from the drivers side fan to the compressor. It turned on teh compressor and I had cold air again. or so i thought.

now, it's cold at idle or slow around town stuff, but as soon as I get on the highwy it stops working and blows outside temp air.

I was wondering if anyone thinks its the complressor?

If not, I wondered if the fan (drivers side) is turning at highway speeds and not back on till I stop.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I am confused... where did he get the power from? Fan? Radiator fan?

If it really is like that - I would never visit him again.

The compressor might not kick in IF - dozens of factors here. Low on charge, air in the system (it was refilled without being pumped out first), ambient temp sensor is bad, and so on and on.
As for faulty harness? Why would that happen? Any visible damage? Maybe it is just a fuse?

Having the compressor running by jumping it is wrong as it is not controlled now. It will damage the system. Compressor will cycle - pressure reaches a certain point the compressor is off, pressure going up - compressor is on.

To answer your question - again, if I get it right what was done, the fan kicks in (is on) when you are moving slowly and the radiator/condenser are getting hotter.
Now, by passing more air through them they reach temp below certain threshold allowing BCM to turn the fan off. Now, when the fan is off, your A/C compressor is off as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, they pulled the power from the fan on the drivers side. They said that fan comes on and stays on whenever the A/C is turned on at the switch inside the car. They believed by sending power to the compressor it would fix the problem.

Well, it does it get cold now, but when your driving on the highway it goes to outside temp air.

My question to anyone who knows is: Does this fan come on when the A/C is turned on by the switch in the car, and does it come on then regardless if the motor is warmed up to operating temp?

Next, does that fan turn off while driving if the motor temp drops below a certain temp? Even if the A/C is switched on inside the car?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Two fans under hood, one dedicated to the A/C which comes on and stays on as far as I know, as long as A/C switch is on.

The other fan is tied into a temperature sensor and is triggered by a fan control relay to prevent overheating.

Problem may be related to the fact that A/C compressor needs to be cycled via clutch for proper running, it cannot stay on all the time or one of the safetys like PLP said will trigger and shut things down. Check the A/C relay and see if the contacts are okay. Some systems use a cycling switch that is mounted on the reservoir, you need system electrical drawings.

·
Banned
998 Posts
My question to anyone who knows is: Does this fan come on when the A/C is turned on by the switch in the car, and does it come on then regardless if the motor is warmed up to operating temp?

Next, does that fan turn off while driving if the motor temp drops below a certain temp? Even if the A/C is switched on inside the car?

thanks,

Two fans under hood, one dedicated to the A/C which comes on and stays on as far as I know, as long as A/C switch is on.

I can't say 100% sure now, as I do not have XD anymore, BUT as far as I remember the fan would cycle with the A/C clutch and would stay on longer if the condenser was too hot.

Now, having HD, which is equipped with one fan only, I can 100% sure say that it will turn OFF when driving if you pass enough air through it.
I know that for sure as I have a control light that lights up when the fan is active. It was a small test when I was playing with higher temp thermostat...

Regardless - the only thing you can do now is to have a switch to control the compressor. Do not let it run all the time, but have the switch and cycle compressor yourself.

Or, GET it repaired by qualified mechanic. At least go to a place where they can tell you what is wrong and how expensive would the repaid be.
Otherwise you are going to blow the system.

EDIT:
after reading your posts again I come to conclusion that the fan will stop (deactivate) when you are driving at higher speeds.
You can test it yourself.

Drive slowly, put A/C on 1 speed. Slowly accelerate till the point you feel warm air. Remember the speed. Stop, wait for cold air and set the speed at max (blower) and start driving until you reach the set speed from previous experiment.

The bottom line - if you set A/C at slow it will produce less heat to the condenser, right? So slower air movement is needed to dissipate this heat. Some certain speed will take the heat away. Now, if you set it at max it will produce much more heat so more air is needed flowing through the condenser. Therefore, at same speed fan might need to help to cool of the condenser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts