Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had this car for 2 years with out any problems whats so ever.drove home from work today parked in drive went to leave again and transmission is stuck in first will not shift. any help???

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
will need engine trouble codes to figure this one out.

check the fluid level in the trans, if its low (due to a leak) that would do it.

other likely culprit is a bad shift solenoid or valve body.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi to all.

I am new to this forum, have a similar problem and in the midst of diagnosis and possible rebuilt of a Hyundai Accent 2004 125K miles transmission failure. In the months before the actual failure there was a gradual mild hard shifts into Reverse, but nothing dramatic. failure happened at one while driving 70mph in fwy. Transmission slipped into a lower gear and was going about 50mph with 3,500rpm and MIL was on. Upon start from parking the transmission went into 1st gear/limp mode down to 20mph and... oh - with an elusive No Reverse!

Hard codes are P0732, P0733, and P0734. A Pulse generator A and B cause was ruled out by disconnecting/replacing. No reverse also after disconnecting the tran solenoids harness. Tran oil was dark and in level, but with no burnt smell, which commensurate with no tran service ever prior to failure. Tran fluid changed (reliable brand SPIII, but not Hyundai's product) and the filter was changed as well. Scanner pulled VSS data of 40mph - 60mph while shifting gears and revving engine, however the car was stationary at the time and dashboard speedometer seems to be OK.

About 2 years ago there was an incident of history of battery leak all over below the battery tray onto some possible transmission surface/connectors/sensors. Hydraulic pressure tests via both Front Clutch and Low/Reverse Break ports checked OK. I am confused about the VSS result which could perhaps explain why the car does not move on reverse, but then again the hydraulic test points into possible internal cause.

Is there any pinpoint test to rule out the erratic VSS signal as cause? Are there any Hyundai/Kia/etc... "special tools" for transmission rebuild that are unique to this transmission (A4AF3) which cannot be replaced by any "generic" transmission rebuilt tools used on domestic transmission?

A reman transaxle would be prohibitively expensive for this car's overall condition and I would appreciate any guidance and pointers you may have into this ongoing diagnosis and the possible rebuild project.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
well the trans is screwed....i can say that much.

a rebuild project is not something to be taken lightly...if you have the experience and skills to do so, by all means don't let me hold you back! just saying that it is not a simple straightforward process.

there shouldn't be any special tools that are not replaceable by something else...but there are tools you may need such as bearing pullers, separators, etc.

you'll want to get your hands on a factory rebuild manual and study it carefully.

unfortunately these transmissions are known for this kind of nonsense....sorry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had a similar experience and it ended up being just one broken wire off the 6 wire shift solenoid connector. just make sure to double check all your wiring and connectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Than you Schaefer for the advice, I will check that.
Were there any solenoids codes recorded because of that broken wire?

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes, i think it was a 755 or something like that but, yeah it set the light off every time i tried to reset it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Shaefer. In my case I get P0732, P0733 and P0734, but no solenoids codes. My question: Did you get these codes and P0755 ? Do you think it's possible for a solenoid wire to be disconnected and trigger the above-mentioned trio gear ratio codes without registering a solenoid malfunction code? Nevertheless, I will check the continuity/integrity of the solenoid wires - a small price if I could avoid a rebuild.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had a similar experience and it ended up being just one broken wire off the 6 wire shift solenoid connector. just make sure to double check all your wiring and connectors.
Where are they located? i currently have the same code on my car, the p0755. its been on for a couple months. if the wires and everything are on the outside i would like to check myself and see if that is the case. if it is and if it is not close to the solenoid can i just reconnect it using connectors or do i still have to buy the set of solenoids? i appreciate all the help. thank you in advance

·
Registered
40 Posts
In this thread the guy had an electrical bad contact in the trans connectors:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/lc-2000-2005-accent/430737-2003-accent-transmission-issues.html

Else, the ATF level may me too low, that's not good.
The automatic transmission fluid must also be changed a few times in the lifetime of the car because it's the hydraulic fluid used to shift gears and the clutch plates wear puts particles in the fluid. I have heard of shifting problems may occur if the ATF gets too degraded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts