Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has called me twice in the last 3 days because her car wouldn't start. It was turning over but wouldn't start, full tank of gas. 1st time she was several miles away, at the dentist, and by the time I got there, it started right up. Last night she was just down the road and after coming out of a short meeting, same problem. When I got there it still wouldn't start. Pulled a coil wire, #2 I think (closest to the front of the car) and had no spark. She didn't want to leave it overnight so went home, got a tow strap and towed her home. When we got to the house, it still wouldn't start. Sat on the porch searching the Internet for solutions. A couple hours later, tried it and it started right up.

I was thinking this seemed to be a crank sensor issue. This morning I pulled the engine codes with my cheapo little bluetooth code reader and it showed P0303 - misfire on cylinder 3. Cleared the code and drove it down the road. It seemed to choke a little and the check light came back on. Another P0303. Got it back up, switched it off and the first time I started it, it took several revolutions before it started. It usually starts immediately. Next couple of times it started normally.

I'm still thinking it's the crank sensor but would feel a whole lot more confident if that was the code it kept throwing! I'm pretty sure the coil wire I checked last night that had no spark was for #2.

Any thoughts as to whether I'm on the right track with the crank sensor? It's obviously heat related. I have an appointment at the Navy Hospital in a bit and I think I'm just going to pick up a new sensor on the way home...

Thanks!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,634 Posts
I'm on the right track with the crank sensor?
You probably are. They often fail when they get hot, and almost never log a trouble code. Just replace the sensor and see what happens.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't test the new one but put the old one on a cheap HF meter. On the 2000 ohm scale the lowest it would read was about 931 ohms. Blew on it with a heat gun and it quickly "pegged". Switched to the 2 M ohm range and it was at about 320K before it finally opened up. Blew cold air and it would eventually get back to 931 ohms. Didn't take much heat at all before it would show "open".

Drove the car the exact path and distance as this morning and no codes. Hopefully I don't have to tow it home again anytime soon!!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,634 Posts
Didn't take much heat at all before it would show "open".
Oh well, that would seem to confirm what the problem was then. Thanks for sharing the results of your test (y)

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove it around a little more and the CEL came on went back off a few times. It was a 'pending 0303' misfire on plug 3. Decided to change plugs and wires.

Here is a picture of the Old plugs against a new one :)

20200523_143255.jpg

Center electrodes all but gone and tops were worn to knife blades. Runs even better now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has called me twice in the last 3 days because her car wouldn't start. It was turning over but wouldn't start, full tank of gas. 1st time she was several miles away, at the dentist, and by the time I got there, it started right up. Last night she was just down the road and after coming out of a short meeting, same problem. When I got there it still wouldn't start. Pulled a coil wire, #2 I think (closest to the front of the car) and had no spark. She didn't want to leave it overnight so went home, got a tow strap and towed her home. When we got to the house, it still wouldn't start. Sat on the porch searching the Internet for solutions. A couple hours later, tried it and it started right up.

I was thinking this seemed to be a crank sensor issue. This morning I pulled the engine codes with my cheapo little bluetooth code reader and it showed P0303 - misfire on cylinder 3. Cleared the code and drove it down the road. It seemed to choke a little and the check light came back on. Another P0303. Got it back up, switched it off and the first time I started it, it took several revolutions before it started. It usually starts immediately. Next couple of times it started normally.

I'm still thinking it's the crank sensor but would feel a whole lot more confident if that was the code it kept throwing! I'm pretty sure the coil wire I checked last night that had no spark was for #2.

Any thoughts as to whether I'm on the right track with the crank sensor? It's obviously heat related. I have an appointment at the Navy Hospital in a bit and I think I'm just going to pick up a new sensor on the way home...

Thanks!
Same issue, new crank sensor and perfect now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts