Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 2004 Santa Fe LX 4x4 3.5 failed inspection the other day (In MA) :( because of a bad lower control arm in the front, passenger side. He said the bushing is all worn. I can feel it on and off sway the suv slightly one way then the other, and I was told ages ago at an oil change it was needed to be honest. The inspection place said bring it back fixed and they can pass it with proof of repair, and remove the big ugly red R.

1. What do you think a fair price to have this fixed would run for this?
I was quoted $350 from the inspection place, and between $270-$316 + tax includes labor, and parts from a small single mechanic operation (I don't believe he has a lift there type small). I wondered if this sounded about right.

2. Will I most likely have to have the ball joint replaced too?
(No one brought that up, but Youtube seems to show that possibility)

3. Will I likely need a wheel alignment again after the passenger front lower control arm is replaced?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi. My 2004 Santa Fe LX 4x4 3.5 failed inspection the other day (In MA) :( because of a bad lower control arm in the front, passenger side. He said the bushing is all worn. I can feel it on and off sway the suv slightly one way then the other, and I was told ages ago at an oil change it was needed to be honest. The inspection place said bring it back fixed and they can pass it with proof of repair, and remove the big ugly red R.

The lower control arm bushing has an average labor time of 1.8 hours. High time of 2.1 hours and low time of 1.4 hours. Plus cost of bushing.

I was quoted $350 from the inspection place, and between $270-$316 + tax includes labor, and parts from a small single mechanic operation (I don't believe he has a lift there type small). I wondered if this sounded about right.

Doesn't require technical experience so go with best price at shop you trust.

If the ball joint is bad but I think they would have noted that.

3. Will I likely need a wheel alignment again after the passenger front lower control arm is replaced?

You won't need it to get rid of the big ugly red R but you will if you don't want to chew up your tires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The new control arm comes with 2 bushings and lower ball joint. I recommend OEM control arm(bushings), or you can try import direct from oreilly auto if you think OEM's too expensive. Since you live in the north, the bolts can be heavily rusted, and I think $300 is a fairly price. They may have to saw off the bolts. Lift is not required for this job. Yes you will need alignment, but you can do it yourself. You can make a left turn, soak the tie rod nut with strong rust remover such as the must for rust, then adjust the tie rod with long adjustable wrench

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Just in case...don't try and align it yourself....

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The new control arm comes with 2 bushings and lower ball joint. I recommend OEM control arm(bushings), or you can try import direct from oreilly auto if you think OEM's too expensive. Since you live in the north, the bolts can be heavily rusted, and I think $300 is a fairly price. They may have to saw off the bolts. Lift is not required for this job. Yes you will need alignment, but you can do it yourself. You can make a left turn, soak the tie rod nut with strong rust remover such as the must for rust, then adjust the tie rod with long adjustable wrench
Adjust it how much.....two turns...three?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It's hard to tell, may repeat 3-4 times until the wheels go straight. It's easy for just 1 wheel. Then have a free alignment check at sears auto

Sears Auto ???

Sears around here done closed all their all their retail and auto facility

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
It's hard to tell, may repeat 3-4 times until the wheels go straight. It's easy for just 1 wheel. Then have a free alignment check at sears auto
Shouldn't be off much at all if the nut didn't loosen but I understand your reasoning. I just wouldn't advise her on doing something like this. She obviously is only looking to find pricing and not doing the job herself.
No harm...no foul.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
I had both left and right lower control arms done on my Suzuki and it cost $650
Would seem about right to me. Have tried to do the work myself.
If you can then you can save on labor.
I could get one bolt out but not the other.
Mechanic told me he cut the lower control arm out and had to order new bolts.
Most lower control arms should have the ball joint with them
But, never know.
Talk to auto parts store
Oh, if you're replacing the lower control arm then it would be better to do both at the same time
Don't reuse old ball joint.

Yes, a wheel alignment is recommended

1 - 9 of 9 Posts