Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say thank you for any thoughts or advice. I am mostly automobile illiterate but would love to get some advice from Hyundai vets before I take my car to my very trusted mechanic (family friend) on Monday or Tuesday.

You might think that I'm crazy, but I have a 2003 XG350 base with 130,000 miles on it that I absolutely love. I have had it for about 4 years/30k miles and I really enjoy the way that it drives and gets me around. That being said I just had a ton of maintenance done on it last week. Many were telling me that I shouldn't put all of that work into a car with a relatively low KBB value but as a student in dental school I would rather spend some money now on a car I know than have to finance a "new" used car that could have a slew of other issues. Here is what I had done: 4 brake pads and rotors, new front left bearing, 4 new tires, timing belt w/ water pump, tensioner, and two serpentine belts and a coolant flush. That ran me about $1450.

I was under the impression that the car was running like a dream again until I went to drive it today. Since picking it up from the shop on Thursday I have driven it 125 miles with no issues. All of the sudden today when accelerating it is having an issue getting from 3rd to 4th gear. I don't know the correct way to describe it but I would almost call it a slip or a lurch. Basically I can see the RPM rise and fall until it gets into third gear. At this point the RPM raises to about 2000 and then it seems to try to change into 4th but instead the RPM jumps to about 2200 and then falls into 4th gear. There is no issue going into 5th gear or on the way back down. If I accelerate slowly it is almost unnoticeable but it is a more dramatic lurch when going faster.

A friend and I checked the transmission fluid and it looks ok. He is more mechanically inclined than I and he said in his opinion he doesn't think it is a transmission issue but more of a computer issue possibly.

Does an issue like this sound familiar to anyone? I don't feel like it could be directly correlated to the timing belt change but could the computer have been reset causing some compensation that was occurring to go away? Any thoughts are appreciated. Having to rebuild the transmission would really suck..... doubt I would've held on to the car if I was expecting that...

·
Registered
47 Posts
i know the trans is computer controlled and when I have had the battery disconnected it has taken some time for the trans to "smooth out" as it relearns my driving style... not even sure if thats how it works but that is my experience

1 - 2 of 2 Posts