Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Sonata drives, but shakes at low speeds and when stopped (while still in Drive), like it's coughing. If it were a stick, it would feel like it's about to stall. When I place it in Park, it's fine. Any insights for me, so I can tell my Hyundai dealer what the issue seems to be? Last time I brought them an issue like this, they were unable to diagnose. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
be a number of things..clogged EGR valve.. bad fuel pressure regulator.. bad steering sensor.. fouled plug or wire.. bad fuel pump.. bad crank or cam sensor... clogged cat.. ect ect

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2003 Sonata...... 2.4 or 2.7 ??

MIL flashing ??

Plugs / wires condition ?? Each carry a 60,000 interval,, platinums get destroyed in the 2.7..

2.4 is hard on coils with age

NGK Platinum OE,, step into Iridium for better service life

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most probable?

2003 Sonata...... 2.4 or 2.7 ??

MIL flashing ??

Plugs / wires condition ?? Each carry a 60,000 interval,, platinums get destroyed in the 2.7..

2.4 is hard on coils with age

NGK Platinum OE,, step into Iridium for better service life
Mine's a 2.4 with the same problem...no codes. Haven't pulled the plugs yet (been hot in Nashvegas). It comes and goes. Sometimes it's just fine; others, it acts just as the OP describes.

I had thought it could be plugs, or perhaps coil packs. Is there a reliable way to diagnose the coil packs beyond simply swapping them out? That would make it a very 'iffy' repair...swap out the packs one by one and wait for the problem to reoccur (or not). Then if it did, swap another one. Might take weeks, and not be the problem in the first place.

Sometimes the problem is so severe, I wonder why it doesn't throw a code, but it never has. After the RPM's hit around 2k, it straightens out, which I think would rule out fuel-delivery issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts