Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I posted about a manual conversion that I would like to attempt eventually but this question involves a simple question about the performance of the little Delta engine. I haven't done alot of searching on the web lately simply because I don't know what parts are compatible with our Sonatas that were made for say the Tiburon. There seems to be a decent amount of go fast parts for the Tib where the aftermarket scene hasn't really came to terms with the Sonata.
I have done many engine builds and swaps over the years and I am familiar with foreign engines. For example: I build and swapped a 4G63 turbo engine into my 1992 Dodge Colt, and after I had modified it, achieved 308HP to the front wheels of a 2300 lb car. I also swapped a JDM D15B VTEC engine into a 92 Civic EG8 4 door with a LX manual trans and after modifications had a quick car. I also turbo'd a 92 Acura Integra GS with a B18A2 engine and made 257HP to the wheels on a stock engine with 12 lbs of boost. I am in the process of working on my 84 Dodge Ramcharger that I swapped a 360 Magnum with SFI instead of the old and very tired 360 LA with a 4 barrel. The point is that I know how to properly build and modify vehicles. It's just that I have never owned a Hyundai but I do know that they are very similar to Mitsu engines.
I really don't know much about these cars and what interchanges between other models and how well they respond to mods. What I would like to know is what performance parts can I use from the Tiburon to make my Delta a little bit more powerful? I already have a universal air intake that goes around the battery and draws air from behind the headlight. But that's kids play. What's up with these "Singh Grooves" that I keep reading about? Does the engine REALLY respond well to porting/polishing/grooving as they say? One mod I did to my Integra that really helped pep it up and improved the throttle response was a lightweight under drive pulley, does anyone know where I can find one? What are some cheap mods that I can do myself to make this Sonata a little less of a sloppy pig?
I will say this: I've owned 38 cars since I was 14 and I'm 30 now, this engine is one of the smoothest engines that I've ever had in a car and I would like to keep it that way. I just want a little extra "bang."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw an eBay ad for a set of headers and a full cat back stainless dual exhaust for a Tibby today for $370 shipped, does anyone know if you can make the Tib exhaust work on the Sonata? I would imagine that it might be a little shorter than the Sonata's exhaust layout but there's got to be some way to make it work if the Tiburon's header/downpipe layout fits and mates up to the stock exhaust. Anybody?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts