Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, new to this forum but have been reading a TON of info this last week about my issue.

I own a 2003 santa fe 4wd 2.7. 250k km on the clock, unknown maintenance history.

when first purchase d afew months ago I did a once over tune up (plugs, synth oil,air filter, throttle body clean, rad flush, diff fluids, tranny fluid)

the santa fe has ran GREAT for the few months we owned it, couldn't be happier especially since I grabbed it for $500.

SO... onto my problem...

Last saturday, -46C, remote start it, sounds like death as most vehicles do here in this temp, let it warm up, went out 15 mins later. check engine light on and idling a little "odd" , not a smooth steady idle like i was used to seeing, wandering a bit. proceed to drive to walmart, very sluggish off the line almost to the point of stalling a few times. higher rpm seems to feel somewhat normal.

Get home and hook up my scan tool, P0340 Camshaft postition sensor. ok makes sense i guess, would cause it to run poorly...

3 days later $97 sensor comes in, installed, no change, odd idle and loss of low end power and still throwing P0340.

Now after the reading i have done, it seems the next thing i certainly should do is check the crankshaft position sensor as form what ive read they are NOTORIOUS, especially as i have no history at all about the vehicle. Will be ordering one tomorrow and plan on looking once the part comes in.

To all you hyundai pros out here, do these symptoms sound like a crank sensor? is it possible it would throw the camshaft sensor code and not a crankshaft code?

just wanna make sure im looking in the right direction.. thanks guys!

EDIT: would also like to add that with the frigid temps as of late the humidity level has also changed drastically....if thats pertinent info...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, crank sensor is a possibility as well as a bad coil. My situation was with a bad coil. On dry days it idled smoothly. On humid or rainy days it would misfire. Sure enough one humid day I looked at the coils while the vehicle was idling and I saw an occasional spark shoot out under one of the wire boots. One way to test is use a spray bottle with water and spray a mist over the coil area and see if it has any effect. Crank sensor is notorious for these kind of issues however there can be many other things that can make an engine idle poorly. Clogged injectors, weak fuel pump, MAF sensor just to think of a few.
Sluggish performance can also be a clogged catalytic converter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
My experience with crank sensors on other cars is if it's bad the engine won't start. The ECU needs to see a signal from the crank sensor or it doesn't think the engine is turning over. If long cranking but starting is the problem then it's usually the cam sensor.

You can check both the crank and cam sensors off the car with a piece of steel and a volt meter. Connect the volt meter to the two leads and set it on AC. Then pass a screwdriver past the sensor back and forth, it will generate a pulse if it's good.

This also works for wheel speed sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys. I'm really hoping its the crank sensor. my only other hunch is the timing belt skipped a tooth...further advice much appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
thanks for the input guys. I'm really hoping its the crank sensor. my only other hunch is the timing belt skipped a tooth...further advice much appreciated :)
Since you have an unknown maintenance history, I would sure look into the timing belt as a potential problem. The CPS doesn't always throw a cel, but I don't remember a camshaft code being a CPS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The timeing was out on my 2.7l 2005 Sonata because the timing belt was installed wrong and it was throwing random cylinder misfire codes, not crank and cam sensor codes. I would expect you to see the same if the timing belt had jumped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The timeing was out on my 2.7l 2005 Sonata because the timing belt was installed wrong and it was throwing random cylinder misfire codes, not crank and cam sensor codes. I would expect you to see the same if the timing belt had jumped.
thank you for the input! that's very valuable info. I'm really hoping once I get it up in the air tomorrow night and check the crank sensor I find a mangled wire mess like some of the pics I've seen here. my actual mechanic also said if timing jumped I'd see other codes and he said by the way its running it doesn't sound like a timing belt issue but sensor issue. just kinda wierd how it would throw the cam code instead. but I suppose we can't expect these old computers to be deadly accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quick update. won't have shop time until Sunday. so haven't been able to look at crank sensor yet. got the part today as well as a timing belt just in case. seems to be running "OK" idles like poop when cold started...and coming to a stop while driving. definetly seems like crank sensor last couple days. here's hoping for a quick fix Sunday!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well. its been a few weeks. replaced the cam and crank sensor to no avail. got timing cover off, back cam was 3 teeth off...front can and crank bang on. belt looked newish so guessing the last owner had it done but whoever did it did it incorrectly when letting the tension back on the belt. regardless...new belt on..with tension released all marks lined up. the santy lives on!!!

just by the gas consumption and performance alone I can tell it was likely off 1 or 2 teeth when I bought it...and skipped a tooth that cold morning.

hope my experience can someday help someone!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great news that you were able to get it sorted out. Odd that it ran as well as it did being off a tooth or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes very odd...which is why myself and my mechanic really thought it was a sensor issue. lesson learned. at least now I know the timing belt and both sensors are new ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts