Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer on my 2003 SantaFe stops working intermittently when I'm driving. It will just drop to zero and stay there, sometimes jumping back up to normal speed. Typically it's at highway speeds. I think it may be the speedometer sensor but I can't find the replacement procedure in my Chiltons manual.

How hard is this to replace and how much would the dealership charge me to do this job if I am unable to do it myself?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have any idea about this??

I need to have some kind of an idea of what the repair cost is going to be before I take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Speedometer function depends on if car has ABS or not... couple different ways to get vehicle speed...

The problem child I had came in with bum trans, and broken ABS sensors.. got trans, no sensors.... customer decided to complain that they need speedometer, and finally bought the wheel speed sensors... still did not work.

System was set up to take right front wheel speed signal, send it to the ABS module, where the AC signal gets converted to DC signal and sent on its' way to other modules.. none of the other modules showed vehicle speed, neither did the ABS module... turns out there is (5) fuses to run the ABS module brain... (3) of the fuses was missing from the fuse block.. replace them, had vehicle speed shown in current screens for ABS, TRANS, and ENGINE, along with the speedometer.

Had a non-ABS that turned out to be the drive gear on the differential was not turning the driven gear of the VSS speed sensor... had to replace A/T on that one..

Others have been VSS replacement for 0500 code typically

1 - 3 of 3 Posts