Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Santa Fe that recently started whining when turning the steering wheel. I checked the steering fluid reservoir and the fluid level was well below minimum. Clamps and lines appear to be intact with no apparent leaks. But, what looked interesting is it looked as if the fluid had sprayed all over the engine and underside of the hood despite the reservoir cap being in place and tight.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the leak? Read somewhere in the forum that it could be a clogged filter screen at the bottom of the reservoir. Not sure what else it could be and could use some help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That cap wont stop fluid from spraying out of it if the pressure gets high enough. Start by cleaning off your reservoir filter screen to see if that was the issue.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Recent topic and similar topics in the past...

Remove the oil bottle

Use Brake Clean or Carb Clean to wash the inside of the bottle out,,, the screen in the bottom of the bottle is full of mud and backs up the oil flow in the bottle, starving the feed to the pump, hence the whine and the oil blown out all over the place.

If you cannot get the bottle/screen clean, buy a new bottle at dealer.. TSB in regard to the fouled screen concern.

While system open, be opportune time to dump all the oil in the system and refill with new/clean oil.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-s...g-fluid-leak-reservoir-mechanics-stumped.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-sm-2001-2006-santa-fe/180945-stupid-power-steering.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright guys - cleaned the reservoir and used an air compressor to clean out the filter. Turns out the leak is pretty prominent in the pressure hose, from the coupling between the reservoir and the steering assembly.

Two questions - any suggestions for the place to get the best price on a replacement? And what can I do for a temporary fix? It's blowing through steering fluid pretty quickly.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You not have engine called out in your "DRIVES 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe",, or in the text of your post... which engine ?

The 2.4 pressure hose is cake walk, as it 2WD, bottom side all open

The 2.7 is fairly easy,, 4WD makes it more of pain

The 3.5 is not fun,, even in 2WD,,, 4WD is beyond royal pain in butt

Best price,, forget it,, hit the local dealer and carry on.. you openly pouring oil out onto ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sbr - 2.7L V6, 4WD

Dealer wants $260 for the hose + another $300 in labor. Part online is only about a $100 +/-...seems worthwhile to at least see what's involved in doing it myself.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hose assembly sound about right.. my dealer needs to take lesson from yours about getting labor money to reflect actual job..

We only charge 1hr shop rate ($92) for the labor,, which is losing money as the 4WD is a pain to get old part out and new part in..

Sound like your shop may be in the $100+/hr, and charging for 3hr labor ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts