Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange issue, my nephew's 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe has no headlights (both lights out) but high beams are working just fine. The headlights are pretty fogged up, so no problem with other drivers, but it won't pass inspection like that.

I swapped out the bulb, but it didn't solve the problem, so i'm on to a possible fuse/relay issue? But looking in the book, I can't seem to find a bad fuse where it says anything about lights, and I would have assumed that the high and low beams would be on the same fuse, so I'm reaching out for some help. I scanned through a few posts after searching for headlights, but didn't see anything.

thanks in advance! I've always found these forums to be very helpful, and I will also try and help out where I can. I'm a weekend warrior on my vehicles and teaching my nephew the same. Right now, however, he's in Navy Boot Camp, so I have his car. I'd like to get it back to him with this issue resolved.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Strange issue, my nephew's 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe has no headlights (both lights out) but high beams are working just fine. The headlights are pretty fogged up, so no problem with other drivers, but it won't pass inspection like that.

I swapped out the bulb, but it didn't solve the problem, so i'm on to a possible fuse/relay issue? But looking in the book, I can't seem to find a bad fuse where it says anything about lights, and I would have assumed that the high and low beams would be on the same fuse, so I'm reaching out for some help. I scanned through a few posts after searching for headlights, but didn't see anything.

thanks in advance! I've always found these forums to be very helpful, and I will also try and help out where I can. I'm a weekend warrior on my vehicles and teaching my nephew the same. Right now, however, he's in Navy Boot Camp, so I have his car. I'd like to get it back to him with this issue resolved.
Didn't you post this last week? If not, use the search function, because someone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,099 Posts
Happy New Year, triplethreat. And welcome to the forum 00000732

When you say the high beams work, is it just the high beam flash that works (pulling the stalk back) or do they work proper (pushing the stalk forward)?

Your right, both high & low beams bulbs are powered by the same fuse, so the headlamp fuse must be good. But if the high beam only works using the flash feature then the fuse that powers the headlamp relay coil might be blown, since the flash feature bypasses the relay. The headlamp relay coil is powered by the fuse highlighted below :

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate your quick response! When I rode with him the other day, I noticed he was actually driving with the high beams on, not just using the flash function. that's the head scratcher, and BOTH headlights act the same way. I noticed a few headlight issues on the forum referenced checking the ground, but the ground wire would be for both low and high beam no?

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
the ground wire would be for both low and high beam no?
No, not when both high and low beam headlamps share the same fuse. That tells you that both share a common power supply.
If you think about it, they can't really share the same ground too. If that was the case both high & low beam filaments in the bulb
would switch on/off at the same time....since both filaments are connected to the same power supply and ground.

I think the next step to diagnosing the fault would be to do a bypass test on the switch to see if that makes the low beam illuminate.
If so, the switch is faulty. If not, the wiring between the switch and the bulbs is faulty.

I don't have access to the switch connector pinout right now, but if you want to try the bypass I'll post details of how to do it when
I get my hands on my work laptop....unless @wongpfh can help us out before then?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Okay, the headlights share common power and they are ground side switched

Why not see if the socket has powers and grounds first?
How does one by pass the stalk switch?
Are the hi beam and low beam have separate relays?
Could the relays be a cause of the issues?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Are the hi beam and low beam have separate relays? Could the relays be a cause of the issues?

The same way one would bypass a relay....since a relay is just a switch.

No & No.
So the hi beams and low beams share the same relays???
Seriously??
That would mean that they both turn on at the same time???

By passing the relay with the socket right in front of you is easy enough
Stalk switch ... where does one access the wiring???

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
So the hi beams and low beams share the same relays???
They share the same relay.....singular.

avisitor said:
Seriously??
Yes.

avisitor said:
That would mean that they both turn on at the same time???
Obviously not. That would just be silly.

avisitor said:
Stalk switch ... where does one access the wiring???
I'd guess, behind the steering column cowlings.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
No, not when both high and low beam headlamps share the same fuse. That tells you that both share a common power supply.
If you think about it, they can't really share the same ground too. If that was the case both high & low beam filaments in the bulb
would switch on/off at the same time....since both filaments are connected to the same power supply and ground.

I think the next step to diagnosing the fault would be to do a bypass test on the switch to see if that makes the low beam illuminate.
If so, the switch is faulty. If not, the wiring between the switch and the bulbs is faulty.

I don't have access to the switch connector pinout right now, but if you want to try the bypass I'll post details of how to do it when
I get my hands on my work laptop....unless @wongpfh can help us out before then?
Head Lamps diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
They share the same relay.....singular.
Singular as in one relay for both the hi and low beams
Means one load side and one control side
On the load side that would mean having two loads (hi and low beams)

Obviously not. That would just be silly.
Yeah, it would mean that both turn on and off at the same time
Hmm, English is a terrible language where many things can get mixed up
Example, a doctor says that you can not use too much of this lotion
Does the doc mean that you can use as much as you want??
Or does the doc mean to use the lotion sparingly??

I'd guess, behind the steering column cowlings.
So you would guess cowling behind the steering column???? ... lol

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is for my Santa Fe Sport 2018, but might help. It's under the steering wheel cowl - three screws (two hidden well on mine) and you are in there.

Once you figure out and fix your issue, you can read my writeup on making the fog lights work any time engine power is on. They are grounded through the low beam ground, which is why they only work when the low beams are on.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
Happy New Year guys and thanks for posting the switch info.

So, looking at the diagram, if the you wanted to try a bypass test on the switch all you need to do is disconnect the wiring harness from the switch and use a link wire to bridge terminals 1 & 10 on the M20-2 harness connector...see below. If that makes the low beam illuminate you can feel pretty confident that replacing the switch will cure the problem.

M20-2 Harness Connector (Terminal Side)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK...so I pulled the cowlings off of the steering column, and pulled the connector off of the switch. I jumpered from 1 to 10 and my lights came on. I'm off to find a new switch and I will post my results.

Thank you for the quick and helpful responses!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wonderful advice and help! I am happy to report that replacing the multi-function switch with a new part from Import Direct solved my problem! My nephew's car will now pass inspection while he's home from boot camp and he'll be able to take it to his next duty station!!! $60 and I'm not even going to charge him labor! :D

My most sincere appreciation to you all for jumping in with the assist!

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK, as a bonus, here is my "Fog Lights Anytime" mod copied from the original thread:

"Pin 10 is the black ground wire from the fog lights which is looped onto the ground for the low beams. That's how / why they only light when the low beams are on (otherwise they have no ground).

Cut that wire about 1/2" from the far end after pulling it and making sure that you have the right end - away from pin 10. Use some electrical tape to seal the other end - not this wire, but the one that you cut it from.

Ground the black wire to the screw next to the 16-wire connector, or anywhere else you find bare metal. Use electrical tape or a crimped lug, or find a direct ground wire (they are all black) and use a positap.

Now the fogs work any time you have ACC power, and still turns off when you switch the SUV off."

I can only vouch that it works for my 2018 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate 2.0 turbo, your mileage may vary, but I suspect it is universal for recent SFS.

Reactions: triplethreat
1 - 20 of 22 Posts