Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: DIAGRAM FOR MONSOON AMP DELPHI SYSTEM IN THREAD AT POST #10

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe, GLS 2.7L V6

Hey guys, new to the forum, been here many times reading about a few problems I have encountered and have had great luck with all the information posted here! THANKS!

However I have come across a problem I am not 100% sure on, mostly because the entire radio was cut out leaving behind a slashed wire harness.
I believe it had the monsoon radio installed, I can look under the passenger seat and see there is a small black box that looks like a amp.

What wire harness would work for this vehicle considering it has the amp?
What is the cut wire to the left of the main wires? I am guessing the antenna, would I be correct?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Yes, that is the antenna. I think it would be easiest if you went to a pick/pull and cut out the connectors you need. wouldn't cost that much at a pick pull.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!
I was planning on buying a new radio since I do not have the old one and was hoping I could just wire in the new radio harness to the old wires. I am not sure if I have to do something special because of the amps on this vehicle and was hoping for more information.

·
Read Only
235 Posts
It's been while since I have had one of those apart. If memory serves me right, the wiring harness goes down to the amplifier, and it is separate. Go to a u-pull-it and remove the console, etc, and look it over. Again, I'm not sure, but it doesn't hurt to look. While splicing all that together isn't an impossibility. it will create a huge glob of connections, and there is very little room for that. Besides, you will still need a plug that is missing, so you will have to cannibalize another harness anyway.
What kind of an idiot would remove a radio like that when all you have to do is unplug it?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Looking at the number of wires ...
2 wires for each of the speakers
Assuming four speakers, means there are 8 wires .. plus
One wire which powers up when ignition is on ... plus
One wire for memory saver (preselect radio stations) ... plus
One wire for ground ... total could be as many as 11 or 12 wires depend if power antenna

Identification of wires
First volt meter, one probe to ground and the other to the test wire
Key off, look for constant power that will be only one wire and should be a thicker one.
Sometimes orange in color
Key on, look for second wire that has power and should be only additional one. Also should be a thicker one.

Now for speaker wires.
9 volt battery with test clips.
One test clip (on 9 volt neg) on one wire without any voltage
The other test clip (on 9 volt pos) touching other test wire.
Quick on and off the test wire.
If you hear a sound then the pair of wires go to a speaker.
Note the color of the pair. Identify speaker.
Continue test with other wires.

The only other way is to get color code of radio wires from Hyundai.
Maybe there is a website that has that info??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BETTER DIAGRAM AND EXPLAINATION AT POST #10

Thanks for the help guys, I think I am on the right path. I could not find any junkyards near by with what I was looking for.
However I did find a audio diagram of a 2003 santa fe that has the amps installed and I think I found a match on EBay.

I found a factory harness replacement on ebay for $7 and will be trying to wire that in to the cut wires.

DIAGRAM IS FOR 2003 SANTA FE AUDIO SYSTEM, WITH MONSOON STEREO AND AMPS. 24 PIN HARNESS

EDIT: OLD DIAGRAM REMOVED .... SEE POST #10 FOR COLOR CODED DIAGRAM AND EXPLANATION ON HOW TO READ IT. THIS DIAGRAM IS NOT NEEDED.

·
Read Only
235 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I think I am on the right path. I could not find any junkyards near by with what I was looking for.
However I did find a audio diagram of a 2003 santa fe that has the amps installed and I think I found a match on EBay.

I found a factory harness replacement on ebay for $7 and will be trying to wire that in to the cut wires.

I made a diagram to help me with the color codes as they do not match with the new harness.
However I am still unsure of the illumination wires, as the new harness has 3(+/-/G) wires for it and the factory wires only have 2 (+/-). I think I will just skip these.
Also, the yellow and red power or accessory colors seem to be reversed on this new harness compared to the factory.

Here it is, maybe it might help someone else in the future.
DIAGRAM IS FOR 2003 SANTA FE AUDIO SYSTEM, WITH MONSOON STEREO AND AMPS.

View attachment 445170

Hey guys, new to the forum, been here many times reading about a few problems I have encountered and have had great luck with all the information posted here! THANKS!

However I have come across a problem I am not 100% sure on, mostly because the entire radio was cut out leaving behind a slashed wire harness.
I believe it had the monsoon radio installed, I can look under the passenger seat and see there is a small black box that looks like a amp.

What is the cut wire to the left of the main wires? I am guessing the antenna, would I be correct?

View attachment 445164
All I can say is YIKES! By the way, there is a plug with a short section of wires for sale on e-pay right now. $15.00. It looks like the one that was cut off your car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the link!
It's a little more than I would like to spend, but it will save me a **** of a lot of time and effort...almost taking the fun out of it.
So i decided to buy it, great find! I looked around for a few hours and could not find anything like that the other day.

Once again this forum helps me out, keep up the great work guys!

·
Registered
2003 hyundai santa fe
5 Posts

View attachment 445164
Did you ever figured out the color coding? Lol I'm going through the EXACT same issue bought used santa fe no radio in it and cut like yours. I bought the harness , but the colors are different

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Did you ever figured out the color coding? Lol I'm going through the EXACT same issue bought used santa fe no radio in it and cut like yours. I bought the harness , but the colors are different
Yes, the diagram below is for the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe WITH the monsoon sound system that includes the amp. Hope this diagram helps you out more than the other one! The diagram below shows each wire.

You will find some duplicate colors, if you pay attention to the diagram, the numbers/letters on the lines are the wire sizes.
Example: 0.50(Color) is amp power and signal. <-- Smallest
Example: 0.85(Color) speaker wires <--- Medium
Example: 1.25(Color) is power/ground wires. <-- Biggest

Colors are abbreviated after the wire size.
Example: .50(L/O) = Blue WITH Orange line <---
Example: .50(B/O) = Black WITH Orange line
Example: 0.85(G) = Green wire
Example: 1.25(Br/B) = Brown WITH black line

The numbers at the bottom are the PIN number in the harness label 1 through 24...
(6 through 12 are empty.)
NOTE: My harness has the pins labeled in reverse order on the harness, 1 = 12, 13 = 24.

harness.JPG
24HarnessCOLOR.jpg

When trying to figure out what the duplicate colors are for, the larger wires (slightly larger) are for the power and ground and the smaller size wires are all for the speakers.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Good Luck!

!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!

NOTE: The Monsoon Delphi Amp uses "Signal Sensing" to turn on/off when power is detected in the speaker lines. HOWEVER mine did not seem to turn on just from that alone.

If it seems like your AMP is not turning on, you may have to splice/merge a wire FROM one of the head unit speaker lines INTO/WITH the AMP SENSOR wire. If that does not work, try splicing the 12v power from the AMP POWER into the AMP SENSOR wire. I used the 12v power from AMP ON spliced into the AMP SENSOR line. I read later that it might be better to use a 5v speaker wire and splice that with the AMP SENSOR wire instead. This should turn the amp on!
GOOD LUCK!

!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!

·
Registered
2003 hyundai santa fe
5 Posts
Yes, the diagram below is for the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe WITH the monsoon sound system that includes the amp. Hope this diagram helps you out more than the other one! The diagram below shows each wire.

You will find some duplicate colors, if you pay attention to the diagram, the numbers/letters on the lines are the wire sizes and colors and the numbers at the bottom are the PIN number in the harness.
When trying to figure out what the duplicate colors are for, the larger wires (slightly larger) are for the power and ground and the smaller size wires are all for the speakers.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Good Luck!
View attachment 445830
Thank you so much , mine has one tan wire ,would that be considered brown in this diagram?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much , mine has one tan wire ,would that be considered brown in this diagram?
I am guessing the tan would be considered brown, but I am not 100% sure. It looks like there is only a single brown wire in the diagram.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW one way to test the brown/tan wire is with a multimeter, the diagram shows it as memory power, which means it should have power to it ALL the time. Using a multimeter you should see it has voltage on it all the time, even with the car off. This will help you know for sure...good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have noticed 4-5+ posts talking about the Monsoon system, I have been linking back to this thread. I am bumping it up to the top so it's easier to find for people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts