Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 LX lit the check engine light last week, and OBD reported codes P0741 ("Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off") and P1529 ("TCM Mil On Request Signal"). When I took it in to the dealer, they said it's a mechanical problem and the entire transmission needed replacement, cost around $3000. I don't usually use these Smilies, but :eek:. Apparently this problem is common enough that Hyundai has issued a TSB (TSB 09-AT-018).

I've kept up on maintenance (fluid flush) for the drive train since I bought it new, and the car has had no issues otherwise, so this is a complete surprise. For a brand that's supposed to be reliable, this is a huge disappointment.

I'm looking for advice here- Does anyone here know more about this problem? Is that price outrageous? Any other options? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yes, been there --- done that.. You can replace the solenoid and internal wire harness ($$$),, and take it for test drive while you own the car in the future.. if the DTC comes back,, you buying a trans (Hyundai Re-Man is the way to do it).. we replaced a few trans for 0741 across the product line.

2WD or AWD ?? Dont see it called out with your "DRIVES 2003 Santa Fe"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, been there --- done that.. You can replace the solenoid and internal wire harness ($$$),, and take it for test drive while you own the car in the future.. if the DTC comes back,, you buying a trans (Hyundai Re-Man is the way to do it).. we replaced a few trans for 0741 across the product line.

2WD or AWD ?? Dont see it called out with your "DRIVES 2003 Santa Fe"
Thanks for the quick response. I updated my "Drives" info. Can you tell if the price they quoted me ($3000) is a re-man or a new tranny? Are the new/re-man ones more reliable?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I updated my "Drives" info. Can you tell if the price they quoted me ($3000) is a re-man or a new tranny? Are the new/re-man ones more reliable?
They won't have a new one. They will all be refurbished/remanufactured.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resolved the problem with the transmission by upgrading to a new car. The dealer gave me $2700 for the Santa Fe, which was just $300 under the KBB trade-in estimate (and less than the repair estimate). Got a great deal on a 2013 Sonata- since the 2014's are coming in they're putting deep discounts on them. Off to the Sonata forum...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts