Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Hey guys so I got alittle lucky and a junk yard not to far from me had an 03 Tiburon with the same number BCM so I grabbed it for 30 bucks and the guy gave me 7 days to return it doesnt work, I took the signal switch for 5 bucks just incase to.. So I was really excited to get home and swap it out hoping for the best but upon connecting the last plug ( the D plug right by the fuses) it would stay in and kept falling out. So I took a closer look and realized there was no prongs in the box, great.. Aside from that the bcm I picked up looks newer and in better condition than the one I have so im hoping I can do something with this so I dont have to return it. I attached pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Wow so I just now realized this because im opening my original BCM for the first time. But you can definetly tell someones opened it quite a few times and when I took the top off that only confirmed it.. the picture below is exactly how I found the relay.

it looks like someone couldn't unsolder it so they took the top off to check it out or something..

also the one I picked up from the junk yard today looks untouched and never opened before.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I did it! this new BCM works like a champ, for the first time ever I have 4 way flashers and right turn signals :)
Im guessing someone pulled the prong right out with the d plug when they were taking parts off at the junk yard. I desoldered the old one and put it in the new one and it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Hey guys so I got alittle lucky and a junk yard not to far from me had an 03 Tiburon with the same number BCM so I grabbed it for 30 bucks and the guy gave me 7 days to return it doesnt work, I took the signal switch for 5 bucks just incase to.. So I was really excited to get home and swap it out hoping for the best but upon connecting the last plug ( the D plug right by the fuses) it would stay in and kept falling out. So I took a closer look and realized there was no prongs in the box, great.. Aside from that the bcm I picked up looks newer and in better condition than the one I have so im hoping I can do something with this so I dont have to return it. I attached pictures below.

Wow! You said you had a LITTLE work to do, but I didn't realize you had THAT much work to do! That thing looks tore up from the floor u...oh...wait...that's the Junkyard car...:eek:

In pic 2 or 3 there's a relay sticking out of the dash...you should have grabbed that while you were at it. They aren't THAT expensive, but they sure are handy. They're used as turnons for heavy-duty amplifiers, but they're really made to add door lock/unlock function to a car that didn't come with it (ties into an aftermarket alarm or door popper...)

Glad you sorted it out!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,712 Posts
Glad you sorted it out!
Yeah, what he said...that was a great find.

There was obviously a really poor solder joint on that main battery supply prong if it just pulled right off the circuit board. It wouldn't surprize me if that had something to do with the car ending up in the junk yard to start with. A bad solder joint on that connection would have been causing all sorts of electrical problems since it's the main power supply into the fusebox/BCM. And you fixed it in 5 minutes :)

You should buy that relay and have a go at fixing your original BCM. It's probably worth descent money to someone since those things fail so often.

Your journeys will all be much shorter now that you can turn right as well as left :)

Scottie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hello there back for a very breif moment as I'm on break right now. But the car did not start this morning. Everything including all signals and lights functioned normal except when putting the key in the ignition to start it didnt make a single noise not even a click. I hadn't had any time to check anything as I had to rush for work this morning and it was dark but when I get home I'm hoping to have a general idea of
what could of happened.

I installed some led multicolor interior lights after putting the bcm back. I fed the red wire to a 10am on the fuse box and grounded the black.

Than i drove the car last night for a bit to test it with the signals and to make sure everything ran proper. It seemed ok and I drove it the the temp gauge reached just below half at its normal range and was all warmed up. Than I get home fine and shut it off for the night. Any clues?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
If the engine wont crank, first thing to do is move the drive selector from P to N then retry.
If that doesn't work, check your battery voltage and make sure it's >12V? You did fully tighten the battery after fitting the new BCM?
I assume the warning lights on the instrument cluster come on OK when you turn the key on?

If everything checks out I'd do a bypass test on the starter relay to see if that makes the engine crank. Turn the ignition on, remove the START relay from the engine fusebox and link the two terminals on the relay socket on the fusebox as shown below. If the engine cranks the problem lies on the control side of the START relay, which might point back to the BCM.

BTW, make sure your in P/N before bypassing the start relay. Bypassing the relay also bypasses the start inhibitor switch on the gearbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
woooah update:

apparently there is a clicking sound when i turn the key comming from under the glove compartment where I installed one of the LEDS. I wiggled a bit and it started right up. I almost had a heart attack geesh.

so whats all that under the glove box anyways and why would me moving it alittle fix it?

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
so whats all that under the glove box anyways and why would me moving it alittle fix it?
I've no idea what's under there but obviously you've disturbed something and caused a loose connection.
That's what you get for fitting LEDs :). You should have just been happy to have the turn signals fixed and left it at that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
True True everything seems to be working now just gotta install this double din touch screen stereo and ill be done than lol.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
True True everything seems to be working now just gotta install this double din touch screen stereo and ill be done than lol.
Uh...sure you wanna do that? There's another thread where someone put one of
those in and the car didn't start after...:eek:

;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Ouch, i hope that doesnt happen to me :0 i spent all day and I can finally say I'm done and installed everything (ill post pics later) I was thinking about it and now not sure if the car started again after having that problem earlier from me moving some wires around because it randomly wanted to turn on.

I had alittlw problem where if I reved the engine I smelled something burning and it took a lot alonger than usual to reach its normal tempurature. Eventually lights started flickering and the car was stuttering so I turned it off.

Than it wouldn't start the battery died. So I jumped it and gave it a good half hour charge because the previous day working on it I left all the lights on for maybe 2 hours without starting it ( lost teack of time)

So I drove it for a good while hoping those symptoms would go away and after a couple take offs of a burning smell when accelerating it went away and it seemed like everything just kicked back to normal. Started it this morning no problem.

Could this be a loose connection anywhere causing this? When I put that d prong on the new bcm I didn't add solder because it already went on there pretty tight and other pins that looked similar on the board didn't appear to have much if any solder on them.

Hoping it stays strong.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
When I put that d prong on the new bcm I didn't add solder because it already went on there pretty tight and other pins that looked similar on the board didn't appear to have much if any solder on them.
Not saying it has anything to do with your non start, but I think it would be a good idea to solder that prong. Like I said earlier, a bad connection on that will cause all sorts of electrical problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ah than I shall do that when I get a chance.

Sooooo any ideas what I should be looking for on this model when the temp gauge seems like it takes longer than other cars to reach its normal range (just alittle under half). Also when first starting after awhile when you feel like it should start blowing out warm air it feels cold, but if you rev the engine alittle it will blow out warm air. Eventually after driving long enough the problem is gone even on idle.

I kind of noticed this when buying the car so I think it was pre-existing. I was thinking maybe thermostat? I was hoping to give the issue a good check just to be sure but thermostats about the only thing I'm familiar with causing something like that.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts