Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member sorry if I've done anything wrong here.

My 2003 Getz has got a significant oil leak. Appears to be originating in the head gasket area. Car turns over and runs, but will surge between 2k and 5k RPM. Unable to be driven due to the bunny hopping in time with surging. No milky oil or overheating at this stage. Once this issue started I took it off the road to have a think about the next steps.
The car has just hit 210,000km, other than this I've had no further issues with the car.

I've been told by my more mechanically inclined friends and family that it's the head gasket that's gone.
I now have two options.
Repair what could be the blown head gasket, or buy a new engine for roughly $250aud, and replace the whole engine.
This won't be done by a mechanic, but by a mechanically inclined family member, mechanics have quoted around $1500 minimum to repair but I purchased the car for $2,200 4 years ago. Just not worth that kind of money.

Just seeking some advise about what I should do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As grcauto says, if the price is right, get it fixed.

May be as simple as checking/flattening the surfaces and throwing a gasket on it.

Let's face it, it's got some miles on it so it's quite subjective wether it's worth repairing. I would certainly be questioning why the head gasket failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!
Car got towed to a family members house, the mechanic I spoke to obviously couldn’t do a full diagnosis over the phone.

Oil leak was unrelated, no blown head gasket, somehow a vacuum hose got blown off.
The valve cover gasket is what was leaking.
Simple enough to fix and she’s back on the road!

Cheers for the advice, glad I didn’t just scrap the car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts