Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled my tank all the way up or very close and then put the odometer to record how many miles I've driven. I've driven 145 miles so far, and the gas gauge is exactly on the half way mark. That means I've only been getting 20 MPG because the 2003 Hyundai Elantra fuel tank holds 14.5 gallons. The car is supposed to get 24 in the city and 33 on the highway.

I really don't understand how I'm only getting 20 MPG. My driving is probably mainly in the city, but I do drive on the highway a lot too. Most of the time I go 40-55 MPH. I never go over 55 MPH. I coast to stops and don't accelerate fast.

My oil is fresh, spark plugs are brand new, filter is clean, etc. The car has a little less than 51,000 miles on it.

Could it be the timing belt or something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (doggxyo @ Oct 11 2010, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362690
I drive a 2006 automatic, and i top off my tank to the brim, and i too, only get at best 300 miles from my 14.5 gallon tank. i have been wondering the same thing, hopefully someone else has the answer to help both of us!

im at about 19,500 miles on my car

Hi there, check your tire pressure, I keep mine at 35 PSI and get 350 - 400 a tank depending on weather. It makes a load of difference in power also.
The tires don't wear uneven at that pressure.
I own a 2001 Elantra with 135,000 miles on it. It runs like a top.
The timing belt wouldn't be it, the belt wouldn't stretch enough at that low of a mileage.
I also gap the plugs a few thousandths
Code:
less than specs, the gap will get slightly bigger with age anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive an 06 and iv'e noticed that even when going on the highway and accelerating slow/under 55mph it seems to get around 20-25mpg for me i mostly drive in town and get 30+ in the summer and 25 in the winter even with accelerating slower and what not. My car has 45k miles and like the other guy said my tires are usually around 36-38psi and it seems to do better when they are closer to 38psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts