Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=19144:miscJune10_243.jpg] Okay, here's the deal...... My husband was on his way to work....... He took the freeway........ shortly after he got off the offramp and turned into the parking lot at work, the car came to a HALT! The tire arm had completely busted in two! My husband was pretty shook up (I know because he called and yelled at me for no reason). If it had happened just 5 minutes before, he probably would have died on the freeway!

At 3am we had it towed to the nearest shop, as the dealership was closed at that hour. Later that morning, my husband found out that there was a recall for this problem, but ONLY in certain states!!! Our state was NOT on the list, however, we purchased the car in a state that WAS on the list.

One site claims that it was due to the ice melt salts used on the roads in those states....... However, I am in Nebraska! Our roads were covered in snow for half of this last year. The state that we bought the car was Missouri (on the recall list). I'm pretty sure we get more snow than they do......

After talking with the dealership, they were not sure that Hyundai would even cover this! They had to "LOOK" at it first, which means that we had to have it towed a second time, at our expense! Thank God we have AAA...... They only pay for one tow, but since it had to be taken to the dealer and the dealer was closed at 3am, they towed it a second time for us! Tripple AAA rocks!

After a few days of checking over the car (and my husband writing complaint letters), they decided to cover all damage, including the body damage that occurred from the wheel falling off. They even managed to give us a rental car, which they said would NEVER be covered, even if the other work was done. I felt like they were giving us service to keep us quiet...... But, the guys at the shop were nice, and seemed to make an effort to help us. I'm guessing they don't want to be sitting next to Mr. Toyota at this point! :) :w00t:

They replaced the right tire arm and the axel, also repaired the body damage to the fender from the tire being shoved into it.

This is my concern and my opinion. I believe that the metal used for the tire arm was faulty. I imagine that when they put the car together they will use parts that were shipped together. So if one has defective metal, so will the other one....... or at least, there is a good possibility of it also being faulty. Even though they claimed that they "checked" the left side and it appeared okay, I do not feel safe driving it. I think they should have replaced BOTH arms. There is no way that you can see a default on the inside by inspection of the outside. I have pictures of all the damage........ AND the broken arm. It appears that it had rusted through from the inside and the outside! I will add a pic if I can figure out how to do so here.

Now the service manager guaranteed my husband that he won't have any problems with it! WHAT??? How can he do that. If the metal is faulty, you cannot tell by a visual inspection! Maybe it was poured poorly and there is an unseen crack? Who knows? All I know is that I do not want to ride in this car anymore. Which will be difficult, since its' the only car that we have........ The only other option is to take my work truck...(2006 Ford box truck that eats gas like it's trying to keep up with the oil spill)!

Also, there was a gash on the tire where the car smashed into it. The tires were new. They said that they didn't "see" anything! I have pictures! I'm guessing they armouralled the tire to make it shine and look like there was no damage. Even so, the tire had a lot of weight that fell on it, and the gash was on the side where the fender was shoved into it. I'm guessing this could have weakened the tire walls, even if they made it "look" pretty!

Please see several pictures here: http://www.alshakat.com/2003_Hyundai.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's a well known problem, since the recall. It has to do with cheap metal from a Hyundai parts supplier, and inadequate drainage in the part. It can easily be checked with visual inspection, but it must be done routinely.

Sounds like you were really lucky since nobody got hurt, and they fixed you up for free. I'd be pretty grateful, but I'd also keep my eye on the rust underneath, since it looks like it was really bad for a long time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
see it every day, done 2 sets myself today...

Nothing new, original arms have no means to drain water out, so it sits inside the cavity and rusts.... Yes steel rusts over time, fact of life

New arms on factory built 2004 to 2006 have drain holes, but Hyundai had vendor install rubber plugs.... go figure, back to holding water again..

Ark kit for recall repair is same as 2004-2006 arms, but guess what,,, the holes do not have rubber plugs in them, thus the arm will not hold water and rust.. :banana:

For owners of mid/late 2003 to 2006 production, look at your arms, and PULL THOSE RUBBER PLUGS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Same for Tiburon owners !!!

Do same across front frame rail, there is 2 plugs there too..

Part number for the recall arm kit 54505-2D002-QQH..

Look over at hyundaiforum.com for several Elantra posts and pictures too.

In the 2 pics below, see the plugs.... remove the plugs in other pic, and we have same arms as arm kit and current over counter arms..

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 30 2010, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337533
It's a well known problem, since the recall. It has to do with cheap metal from a Hyundai parts supplier, and inadequate drainage in the part. It can easily be checked with visual inspection, but it must be done routinely.

Sounds like you were really lucky since nobody got hurt, and they fixed you up for free. I'd be pretty grateful, but I'd also keep my eye on the rust underneath, since it looks like it was really bad for a long time.
---------------------------------------------------
Of course we're grateful that no one got hurt...... And I'm glad they fixed what they did. However, I think they should have replaced BOTH of the arms. Both arms have been subjected to the same weather conditions, and were most likely made by the same manufacturer at the same time, therefore, would more than likely suffer the same issues. Why not nip it in the bud before there is another "near miss"?

This could be a well-known problem for those in the car industry, but for those of us who are "drivers" and not mechanically inclined, how would we know about it??? There was a recall, but ONLY for certain states. We received NOTHING in the mail telling us that there could be a problem. This is something MAJOR that should be announced to everyone that drives a Hyundai... We have the right to know if our lives are on the line when we drive these cars.......

On a side note......... We bought two of these cars (identical)......... After buying the first one, we LOVED it and got another a few days later. I have always liked this car, however, in the past year this car has had many issues..... It drove with minimal problems for the first 5 years. My suggestion is to drive it for 4 years and trade it in for another. I do like the Hyundais.......... I just feel that they should have informed us of the problems or potential problems, (in ALL states) and that they should replace BOTH sides at the same time.

It shouldn't be something that we are "lucky" to have fixed, it is something that they should be responsible for as manufacturers. A 7 year old car should not have the deterioration that this one has........ Unless, of course, it is defective, and they should take care of it without hesitation!

My last car was a Toyota! :) hahaha!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (alshakat @ Jun 30 2010, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337583
---------------------------------------------------
However, I think they should have replaced BOTH of the arms. Both arms have been subjected to the same weather conditions, and were most likely made by the same manufacturer at the same time, therefore, would more than likely suffer the same issues. Why not nip it in the bud before there is another "near miss"?
Recall says if (1) arm has hole, replace both arms with the kit (2 arms in a box).. You should go back and speak with Service Manager, and ask that he call his DPSM while you sit there and ask if they can install the 54505-2D002-QQH arm kit..

This could be a well-known problem for those in the car industry, but for those of us who are "drivers" and not mechanically inclined, how would we know about it??? There was (is a current running, not was..) a recall, but ONLY for certain states.

We received NOTHING in the mail telling us that there could be a problem.
That's because your vehicle is not registered in 1 of the applicable states... make a road trip to IL or IN, and then punch a hole in the other arm, and drive into dealer and tell them you have a hole in your arm... For giggles, send me your VIN, let me see if it come up as applicable for campaign.. :thumbsup:

My last car was a Toyota!
My daily drive is a TOYOTA w/324,300+,,,,, spare car is a TOYOTA too, 179,800+ :banana:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts