Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently had a new (used) gas tank and new fuel lines (front to rear) put on the car.

On the first fill-up, I pulled out from the gas station, drove 20 seconds to the next red light. The car stalled (automatic transmission) when I came to a stop. It was hard to start and hard to keep going, and had intermittent periods of extreme power loss when I drove it down the highway.

Took it back to the shop, there was an engine code for the O2 Sensor, so the O2 was replaced, but made no difference. They checked fuel pressure and the catalytic converter, both were fine. They wanted me to keep driving it until another code came up.

As the tank neared empty, the car started driving almost perfectly. Filled it up again, and the problems started all over again. I have tried driving it with the gas cap off to make sure air can get in to replace the gas, but made no difference.

I changed the spark plugs, and all 4 of the old ones were covered in black carbon from the fuel running too rich (i assume).

**Edit: Also, when the car is idling and it starts struggling, the exhaust does smell extremely strongly and is grey.

Now, engine code [P1166 O2S Controller Adaption Diagnosis Malfunction (bank 1)] is appearing (I have to check with the garage monday to see if it is the same code they had earlier).

Any help or advise is appreciated. I'm not sure why a new tank would cause this, unless somehow dirt/rust ended up where it didn't belong during the changeover.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
When you fill up the tank, do you fill it all the way until gas is spilling out? Or do you stop filling after it shuts off the first time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you fill up the tank, do you fill it all the way until gas is spilling out? Or do you stop filling after it shuts off the first time?
Generally, I will wait for a second click before I stop filling. I never get to the point where gas is spilling, though.

Also, more recently, I put $20 of gas into it to bring it to half a tank. When I did that, I had to run the starter for a long time before the engine would catch. And of course, it started running rough. So, it doesn't have to be a complete fill-up for the symptoms to worsen.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
jsinton was asking about if you stop after one click because that is a problem for hyundais. read your owner's manual, it clearly states never to top up the tank like that. one click, no more.

the consequences are flooding and trashing the charcoal canister.

in the meantime, i don't think this is your issue yet...i'd check all the evap lines and wiring connectors. since they have to remove some evap equipment, they may have screwed something up by not putting it back together right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh. So it does. Well, that's interesting.

I think this car might be toast. It seems to be gobbling up engine coolant, as well. Likely a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
In the driver rear wheel well is a vent air filter, plastic/mesh worth about $10 from dealer; either replace it or clean it.

It is covered by a plastic cover held with 4 ten mm bolts.

If mechanic replaced tank he might have just reused your fuel intake hose and not bothered disturbing this filter.

Had this identical problem on a 2005,hatch and this was the fix. Sand/dirtvbuilds up behind cover and plugs filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quite often it is a purge valve plugged with carbon granules from the canister which doesn't allow the purge valve to seal properly so engine is sucking air via the canister after all the fumes have gone into the intake manifold then only air is left going into intake manifold when it shouldn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts