Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
I want to change the tranny oil on my 2003 Elantra 1.6L, i know that i need a special machine to change it all, but i don't want that, i want to change the oil from the pan (like we all do with the engine oil) and yes, i do know it won't change it all.
Problem is that i read in a lot of forums that changing it that way will cause air pockets and all sorts of problems in the A/T.
So, is it safe to just drain the oil from the pan and then refill just like engine oil?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Doing a pan drain/refill does NOT ever cause any problems and is very safe. Make sure you check the ATF level correctly, engine running at temp on a level surface while in park after cycling all the shifter detents.
Use OE ATF or any equivalent ATF that mentions your required spec.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
On my 2001 Elantra, I drained the AT and refilled it
Simple drain and fill ... no problem
Just got to use the right ATF ... SP III

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
USA XD Elantra is checked in "N" with engine at idle

·
Registered
16 Posts
on my 4 now 3 2001 to 2005 elantra's i just unscrew trans drain plug drain into catch tub, measure what came out,, usually 4 to 4.5 gts.. refill, with proper amount of Castrol Transmax fluid.

I will run that for a week or so till i get chance to do again. that way you are not forcing fluid through the valves and such dislodging crap to foil your transmission..

NEVER NEVER NEVER get a power flush unless you bought the car new, had fluid changed every 35-40K miles. but if you do that via drain and fill you only need to do the drain once then go 20K miles or so and do it again.. your transmission will last FOREVER>> and you will save a bundle..

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts