Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've got a 2003 Santa Fe 2.7L V6 with ~110,000 miles. I had the timing belt replaced last summer.

I've noticed a coolant leak for the past few months. I need to top off the resevoir once every month or two. I was changing the oil today and I noticed a whole lot of coolant crust right next to the Oil Filter and the Alternator (I think).

I figured Hyundai would have replaced the water pump when I brought it in for the timing belt, but I don't remember for sure and I can't find the receipt. Does this sound like a water pump issue or something else?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

from what you describe the water pump is the most likely suspect, if you can not find the invoice there's little way of telling if the pump was changed

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Most will not replace water pump without owner approval first, as there will be more parts & labor involved, so you need to be aware of what it is you're paying for.

There is many places for coolant to be lost, a number of them you can visual for yourself.

Hoses, look at ends of hoses where the fit the joints, see white/green crust, trails of white green chalk, green puddled on top of transmission..

Look underneath near the fron corner of engine/oil pan and up by A/C compressor, and odd white/green chalk staining or liquid running down currently or in past ? This is tell tale sign of water pump, as leak hole is above A/C compressor on the block.

Go look, report back

Reactions: jkpt445

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealer and they said they do not change the water pump unless specifically told to.

I got under there and the leak is definitely coming from right behind the AC compressor, assuming the AC compressor is the bottom right pulley (viewed looking from the side). I cleaned the area off as best I could just to make sure that's the culprit.

From what I could find, looks like replacing the water pump is a pain. Obviously I would need to remove the compressor, but I'm guessing that's just the beginning. What would one expect to pay for replacing a water pump?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (señor ben @ May 16 2010, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323416
From what I could find, looks like replacing the water pump is a pain. Obviously I would need to remove the compressor, but I'm guessing that's just the beginning. What would one expect to pay for replacing a water pump?

Thanks!
Not a pain... remove timing belt, handfull of bolts retain pump body to block, re-assemble. Messy more than anything else, gonne spill coolant all over the place.

The pics show the belt set in place, tensioner still has the "pin" installed, and note the 2 new idler pulley..

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've changed a few water pumps in the past, but I've never had to go to this much trouble. That's what I meant by pain...

So once I get the timing cover off (after jacking up the engine) I don't have to touch the timing chain, right? I'm a little apprehensive about messing up the timing and any subsequent valve issues.

Got a quote of about 500 from the local Hyundai dealer, seems about right for the labor involved.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (señor ben @ May 18 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324065
I've changed a few water pumps in the past, but I've never had to go to this much trouble. That's what I meant by pain...

So once I get the timing cover off (after jacking up the engine) I don't have to touch the timing chain, right?
Correct, no touch timing chain.... dont have one. You WILL need to remove the timing belt... in the right hand picture, you can see water pump pulley at 12 o'clock with timing belt making a U-turn around the pulley and dis-appear off top of picture.

I'm a little apprehensive about messing up the timing and any subsequent valve issues.
As long as your timing marks are all in allign with belt in place and tensior apply pressure to belt, all will be well.

Got a quote of about 500 from the local Hyundai dealer, seems about right for the labor involved.
Our labor guide shows approx $520

·
Registered
390 Posts
SBR711, I am curious how long the water pump lasts on average for the 2.7. Same question goes for the idler pulleys for the timing system as well as the ones that the serpentine belt rides on. When my 120,000 mile service comes up I want to be prepared to have parts on hand when I have to do the timing belt. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I got a replacement water pump for a pretty good price and have decided to do it myself. I'm also thinking about changing out the plugs and wires while I'm in there.

Do I need any gaskets or any other parts before I tear into it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (señor ben @ May 27 2010, 10:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327161
Ok, so I got a replacement water pump for a pretty good price and have decided to do it myself. I'm also thinking about changing out the plugs and wires while I'm in there.

Do I need any gaskets or any other parts before I tear into it?

Gasket between intake plenum and lower manifold... 6 holes in a line, waterpump gasket (Hyundai not included in the water pump box), coolant, mix it 50/50 in a large pail, then refill system

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm about half way through changing out the water pump and I've hit a bit of a snag. The first problem is just getting the new pump in place and I'm not sure why that is so hard. I'm guessing I'm just not doing something right and will figure it out soon enough...

The second issue is more of a big picture question. So after removing the old pump, I can't tell if anything is wrong with it. There was no evidence of leaking around the water pump. The green/white crust is actually located on the front of the engine, just above the base of the oil dipstick and sort of behind the AC compressor. Does it seem that a water pump could produce such a leak? It does seem that the leak is located where the outlet of the water pump would meet the engine case...

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look closer at the front of the block where you pulled the pump off of.... there is a pocket that has the tunnel to the side of the block and lets the collant out there, rather than inside the timing belt area..

As to fitting the new pump.... 2,7L, correct...

Top of pump body sits under them black steel panels.. I usually loosen the bolts for them panels to allow them to move out a wee bit, and have cut the top lip off the pump so the pump body will fit easier under them panels,,, the 3.5 pump is pretty much off & on.. You'll get frustrated with it, look somemore and you will see what is happening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again sbr711, you've been a ton of help and have saved me a bunch of money.

So the "tunnel" on the frontside of the engine is related to the water pump?

Glad to hear there are issues putting the pump back on, I nearly went crazy trying to put it back on last night.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Make positively sure the pump body is flat to blck before drawing up the bolts... dont want to hear a crack sound or see green stuff run out when refill...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts