Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reaching normal operating temperature, it shuts off for 15 minutes then will re-start and run for a few minutes, over and over again.
I have replaced the ECT, thermostat, juggled fusible links & reset the ECU (pulled the fuse & discharged capacitors).
I thought it was caused by engine coolant temperature hitting 180degF, but with the heater fan going full blast, it shuts off at 140 degF.
I suspect some sensor is heating up and telling the ECU to stop spark or fuel injection, but which one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the crank sensor to check for whiskers but it was clean. The clutch housing would not heat up much so I don't see how it could generate a degraded signal then recover to start the engine so quickly and run so well until the next shut down.
My INNOVA 3130 diagnostic tool displays no error codes and the live display shows no odd trends just before the engine quits.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
After reaching normal operating temperature, it shuts off for 15 minutes then will re-start and run for a few minutes, over and over again.
I have replaced the ECT, thermostat, juggled fusible links & reset the ECU (pulled the fuse & discharged capacitors).
I thought it was caused by engine coolant temperature hitting 180degF, but with the heater fan going full blast, it shuts off at 140 degF.
I suspect some sensor is heating up and telling the ECU to stop spark or fuel injection, but which one?
Wiring is good.....replace the sensor.

Best practices for requesting help:If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. At upper right corner under the search box click on user cp (it's your control panel)
This info will show up to the left under your user name and is very helpful.
BE SURE TO ADD YOUR LOCATION SO WE KNOW WHAT MARKET YOU ARE IN.

• Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
  • Do a search for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
  • Do not double post for the same problem.
  • Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
  • Take a single issue at a time. Posting multiple issues at once will get convoluted very quickly
  • VIN number can be very helpful
  • Vehicle history can be good. How many miles. If not bought new, how many have you put on it.
  • Describe the problem best you can. If a noise can you get a sound or video file
  • Tell us what has been done, if anything, thus far. If tests have been performed give actual results not OK or passed. If scanned for codes the actual code(s) not O2 sensor or MAF, Etc.
  • If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you could post a picture of that invoice/bill
  • If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's a problem they see many times they will generate a safety recall of TSB. This is how they know of the problem.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you fellows may be correct...I directed a fine spray of water at the crankshaft position sensor and the engine ran for a very long time before quitting.
I will replace it tomorrow and let you know if it cured the chronic napping.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
The clutch housing would not heat up much so I don't see how it could generate a degraded signal then recover to start the engine so quickly
I don't know what sensor you were looking at but the crank sensor is on the engine block, not the clutch housing.

Yamoffathoo said:
My INNOVA 3130 diagnostic tool displays no error codes
That's normal for a crank sensor failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But its pretty close to the clutch housing and there is a good breeze generated by the whirling ring gear behind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chronic napping problem appears to have been fixed with the replacement of the crank position sensor!!!

Thanks for suggesting it GRCAUTO and AUTOSPARK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts