Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I made the decision to drop off my 2002 XG350 and the following was replaced. The car by the way was running just fine:

1 component kit
1 timing belt
1 h2o pump
1 timing belt tentioner(sp)
1 power steering belt
1 AC/Alternator belt
1 gallon of coolant

Car ran fine for one day then coming home yesterday, all the gauges stopped working, radio shut off, blinkers did not work and the car started to stall. I pulled over and turned the car off. When I tried to start it again, it just clicked. Had tow guy jump it, it ran fine for about 5 minutes, still no gauges. Then it stalled out again.

Got it towed back to original shop. Called them, they asked if any of the belts fell off because it sounds like my alternator died. Here are my questions for the forum:

1- How many belts is the 2002 XG350 supposed to have because I only see two and was charged for three?

2- is there a known issue with replacing the timing belt and all those other components only to have the alternator crap?

Any help trying to understand this will be helpful.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It may be that the shop doing the work failed at some item. Give them a chance to fix it. You ordered up a lot of work and they should be able to repair it. Sound like it ran out of juice (electric power) so perhaps the belt came off. I believe it will run without the alternator awhile, until the battery runs out of juice. Let us know the findings.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
1- How many belts is the 2002 XG350 supposed to have because I only see two and was charged for three?

2- is there a known issue with replacing the timing belt and all those other components only to have the alternator crap?
1. 3 belts. 1 timing behind plastic cover, 2 accessories (1 for ps pump, 1 for ac and alternator.

2. no but **it happens ...

Per TSB 04-36-014 there's two different alternator pulley diameters that require a matching belt length. The newer belt is shorter since the pulley is smaller.
If the shop ordered the belt by e.g. mfg date, vin they got the longer belt. In case your alternator got replaced btw 2004 and now it's likely it requires the shorter one. The difference is only 5mm though ...
Does your alt. have a red label, the belt should be 1220mm. Yellow 1225mm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it turned out to be a combination of the refurbished already replaced alternator and a 6 year old battery. I am the second owner of this vehicle and with only 65k I know it was a lucky find. After all the work the car ran fine for 24hrs. The shop said that it could have been the voltage regulator or the refurbished alternator itself that crapped out causing the battery to drain. SO...Timing belt and all associated pully's and pumps along with another visit to replace the alternator and get a new battery and dont forget to add on the towing charge for a grand total of $1589. 1 year parts warranty and 6 months on the labor.

Thanks for your help folks

·
22,793 Posts
Look at it like this: Hopefully you're good for another worry-free 65K. Try finding a well-kept replacement vehicle for $1589!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts