Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2002 XG350, and it was having an intermittant P0305 code (misfire cylinder #5), and thus rough idle and LIMP home P1191/1193. I then cleared the codes, and for the past two weeks, it would intermittanly give the same codes.

She has 90K miles, and since there is no record of a tune-up, I decided to "set a base-line" and replace all spark plugs, spark-plug wires, coil-boots (not the coils), and the air filter, and swapped the #1/2 and #5/6 coils to see if the P0305 moves to another cylinder.

She started up fine, and was driving great (smooth, good power, etc.) for about 20-minutes.

When she was shut-down for about 10-minutes, I restarted, and instead of the RPM needle automaticlly going past 1K, it went into a rough idle, and eventually threw a Check Engine Light (CEL), but instead of a P0305, it is now P0350 (Ignition coil primary/secondary circuit malfunction). I checked all connectors.

After running rough for about 3-minutes, she was running smooth as silk again.

Any ideas ?

Should I just replace all three coil-packs ?

Lastly, the dealer say there is NO fuel-filter to be replaced, as it is part of the pump.
However, I read there is a fuel-filter behind the right-rear wheel. What's the real deal here ?

Thanks in advance!

2002 XG350 90K miles

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I'd say you had a coil pack problem. Replacing all three would't be a bad idea.

About the fuel filter, there is some confusion about the location for XG. I think the later XGs had filters in the tank. The only way to know for sure is to look for it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Aug 18 2010, 08:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350288
Yeah, I'd say you had a coil pack problem. Replacing all three would't be a bad idea.

About the fuel filter, there is some confusion about the location for XG. I think the later XGs had filters in the tank. The only way to know for sure is to look for it.

Look at the coil body.... see that big oval white/grey discolor on the coil body under the steel plates ???

HEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEE,,,,, sounds like car from 2 week ago (see the pic below and note the lines marked with dots)

Repair made was (3) coils, a good throttle plate & bore clean with run solvent through the IAC ports, and the EGR code was diagnosed as a bum EGR solenoid...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take a look at the coil-packs.

Do you guys use "parts.com" ? Hyundai OE coil-packs are $78 at parts.com, or are aftermarket (e.g., NAPA) coils OK ?

FWIW: here's the freeze-frame data I have:

Load: 19.6%
Engine temp: 217-F
Short Trim: 0%
Long Trim: 4.68%
RPM: 761

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350301
Look at the coil body.... see that big oval white/grey discolor on the coil body under the steel plates ???

HEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEE,,,,, sounds like car from 2 week ago (see the pic below and note the lines marked with dots)

Repair made was (3) coils, a good throttle plate & bore clean with run solvent through the IAC ports, and the EGR code was diagnosed as a bum EGR solenoid...
What scanner are you using ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (H104 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350303
I'll take a look at the coil-packs.

Do you guys use "parts.com" ? Hyundai OE coil-packs are $78 at parts.com, or are aftermarket (e.g., NAPA) coils OK ?

FWIW: here's the freeze-frame data I have:

Load: 19.6%
Engine temp: 217-F
Short Trim: 0%
Long Trim: 4.68%
RPM: 761

Thanks!
I use the parts counter at dealership... Genuine Hyundai part in Hyundai box with Hyundai/Kia part number on the box.

Freeze Frame --> Fault detect/code set at idle, full operating temp (though slight hot), and fuel trims normal...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (H104 @ Aug 18 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350319
What scanner are you using ?

:) neil

See picture below (I really need to get better pictures) -- :banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 18 2010, 10:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350322
I use the parts counter at dealership... Genuine Hyundai part in Hyundai box with Hyundai/Kia part number on the box.

Freeze Frame --> Fault detect/code set at idle, full operating temp (though slight hot), and fuel trims normal...
<SNIP>
I get Mercedes parts from parts.com and they are OE from a Mercedes dealer. They're saying their Hyundai parts are also from a Hyundai dealer, if so, I can save $90 for all three coils. . .

My local dealer is at full list!

:-(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just noticed that the spark plugs my parts-house gave me were not the platinum or iridium NGK's, but the regular copper-core with nickle coating.

Could a change in the spark-plugs give a DTC P0350 ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (H104 @ Aug 19 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350362
I just noticed that the spark plugs my parts-house gave me were not the platinum or iridium NGK's, but the regular copper-core with nickle coating.
NGK Platinum or NGK IRIDIUM (upgrade) only.... you'lll burn the plain old plugs quickly with the waste spark system

Could a change in the spark-plugs give a DTC P0350 ?
NO, as noted in another topic you have running/replied to, PCM is looking at system voltage....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I confirmed that our 1992 XG350 does have a fuel filter. (Production date to follow).

FWIW, it uses the same filter (without bracket) as a 1995 Toyota 4Runner, SR5 V6. NAPA filter 3319 is what we installed.

Note, they call it a fuel filter/water seperator.

Dealer had the arrogance to say there was *NO* external fuel filter, even when I showed it to them ON THE CAR.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Heres pics of burning coil bodies, and see the white haze on the plug wires ....

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
QUOTE (H104 @ Aug 18 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350332
Forgot about Rock Auto. Where do you get OE/Korean coils at $62/each ? Are you sure they are OE, and not OEM ?
According to the Rock Auto catalog:
Code:
Auto7 products are manufactured in Korea by the Original Equipment or Tier One Manufacturer of original equipment parts for Hyundai, Kia, and GM-Daewoo vehicles. They are engineered and built to the exacting specifications of QS9000, ISO14000, and TS16949.
I guess that makes them OEM?

2002 HYUNDAI XG350 3.5L 3500cc V6 FI DOHC : Ignition : Ignition Coil / AUTO 7 Part # 0230030 / $60.79

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 XG300L CEL code P0350

My engine has been intermittently running rough, at idle or cruising the tachometer would take a quick 'dip' and i would momentarily loose engine power. It has been getting progressively worse but still drivable. My CEL came on and I got the codes read and they were P0302, P0350, P0421. The tech said I need to replace my #2 cyl ignition coil.

Does this sound like a fair assessment and is this something a novice can replace?

BTW...on a totally seperate subject, my AIRBAG error light is on, is there a way to diagnose what the problem with the airbag is, or even what airbag is a problem. I see replacement airbags on Ebay....

any assistance is appreciated.

Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
the coil is very easy to replace, start off by removing the big plastic engine cover.

My engine has been intermittently running rough, at idle or cruising the tachometer would take a quick 'dip' and i would momentarily loose engine power. It has been getting progressively worse but still drivable. My CEL came on and I got the codes read and they were P0302, P0350, P0421. The tech said I need to replace my #2 cyl ignition coil.

Does this sound like a fair assessment and is this something a novice can replace?

BTW...on a totally seperate subject, my AIRBAG error light is on, is there a way to diagnose what the problem with the airbag is, or even what airbag is a problem. I see replacement airbags on Ebay....

any assistance is appreciated.

Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts