Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something a bit unusual which I haven't been successful when searching online or in these forums. We bought our daughter's 2002 Hyundai Sonata from my sister when she was selling it. Car works fine without issue and we're happy with it.

About a year ago, on a cool morning, I was wiping dew from the passenger mirror when the mirror fell out onto the ground (didn't break thankfully). As I examined the back of the mirror, I saw that it had 4 clips which hold the mirror onto the mount in the cowl. But the top clip had spider webs on it, so it was clearly NOT connected - I'm happy it hadn't fallen out when driving. I wiped the webs off the back of the mirror and, pressing firmly, re-seated the mirror onto the mount in the cowl so that I thought all clips attached. Seemed to attach completely and has stayed in place since.

Now my younger daughter is learning to drive and we're using the 2002 Sonata for practice as it's an easier car for her to drive.

Here's our dilemma:

The passenger side mirror (which fell out about a year back) will NOT adjust down enough to see the rear tire. It barely adjusts down to see the lower part of the car, but for normal driving, this is enough. However, for backing around a corner where you want to see the back tire and curb, it won't adjust down enough!

Is there anything I can do correct? If I try to remove that mirror, I'm concerned that I might break off one or more of the tabs on the mirror or the clips on the mount (in the cowl). I don't want to break it so it's non-usable or needs to be replaced.

I'm open to suggestions, but I suspect they will revolve around removing that mirror. And if that's the case, what's the best way to do so without damaging the mirror or the mount within the cowl?

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Just try moving it by hand. They have a plastic gear like thingy (don't you love tech jargon?) that kind of slips if bumped, so if someone's messing with it it doesn't just break. If somone at one point had manually pushe the mirror up, then it would just have enough room to move downwards enough to see the rear of the car, but won't go into "backup" position.

Now, I'm working on theories from Toyota and Chrysler here, but since Hyundai rips-of...er..borrows heavily from Toyota I would imagine it works the same.

BTW, where the heck were you the last couple days when I was having networking issues here? As you can see, I had to iron them out myself. :D

·
Registered
13,351 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, I posted a reply yesterday, but the system said I was moderated and needed my post "approved". It still isn't showing up today. So I wanted to post a quick reply. I was able to get the mirror pointing down by standing behind the mirror and using both hands (on either side of mirror so as not to apply too much pressure in one direction) and manually operate the mirror (back/forth, up/down). I did this several times and then tried to adjust using the motor. It now goes down and you can see the tire/curb. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I seated the mirror a bit better into the mount? But I didn't hear anything give other than the "clicking" noise from manually moving the mirror.

So thank you everyone who replied - and sorry I didn't realize your network was down Old's Cool - I wondered why it took you so long to post though... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts