Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the forum, this sounds like Ye Olde Purge Valve issue, but I don't want to start buying and replacing parts when it may be something else. Is there a way to nail-down the issue?

The car is a 2002 Santa Fe V6 w/ ~275k miles on it

The symptoms:
  • Gas pumps have been shuting off at about 1/2 a tank, even on the lower flow setting. I need to hold the pump handle at the lowest flow rate to get more than 1/2 a tank.
  • If I gas-n-go, about 40% (2 out of 5) of the time, the CEL will come, but if I gas-up and then park the car overnight, no issues.
  • Didn't drive the car for about a week, and now can't start the car. The engine turns over well. Tank is 3/4 full.
  • Used a bottle of dry-gas, but didn't help.
  • There was some gunk around the intake valve, etc. I did use some cleaner. After that, the engine started, but stopped after about 30 seconds.
  • An intentional spray of cleaner past the throttle plate results in the engine starting, but stopping after less than 30 seconds.
  • Stepping on the gas pedal won't keep the engine running after it starts.

It definitely sounds like a fuel supply issue, but I don't want to do a trial and error, replace the purge valve, replace the fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, replace the fuel injector(s), etc. until I find something that works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update. The info above was from two days ago. The issues will filling the tank have crept in over the past 2-3 months.

Today, I tried starting the car again. First time, it fired-up, with the pedal to the floor, and ran roughly, for about 15-20 seconds. The second try, it started, but only ran for about 10 seconds. I couldn't get it to start a third time.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
To me it sounds like a fuel system issue.
When key is first turned to the "ON" position, do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail for a couple of seconds?
Locate fuel relay. Determine if there is power to two of the four pins (socket) while cranking.
Swap relays and see if there is any difference
If there is power then must check for power at the fuel pump
If power and grounds to fuel pump okay then fuel pump is suspect.
Sometimes pounding on the fuel tank while cranking can get the engine to start and run for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long delay. I haven't been able to get back to the troubleshooting until this weekend. It turned out to be multiple points of failure. I'm not sure how "preventing the vehicle from starting items" all went bad while the vehicle set unused, but the fuel pump relay was bad, the fuel pump itself died also. I basically followed all the steps from the other threads on here. The final "fix" was to reset/push-the-button on the inertia switch next to the brake master cylinder.

The only thing that's still a bit iffy is that the small tube coming off the fuel pressure regulator going to the intake manifold smells (slightly) of fuel. That's been mentioned as a sign of a bad regulator, but I'm not sure if it's a temporary side effect of the other issues.

I'm sure that the early fuel pump shut off is not resolved, but I'll get to the evaporation system over the next few weekends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts