Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the throttle position sensor on my 2002 santa fe v6 2.7 l. The mechanical swap out looks simple enough. However, the repair manual reads that a "scan tool" needs to be utilized and readings obtained to calibrate the install.

Considering that I have two questions:

1. Has anyone replaced this module, and if so, was a "scan tool" used in the process, and what is it's purpose?
2. Is a scan tool the same as a OBDII reader, and if not, where can such a tool be purchased?

Thanks ahead for any responses to my post!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you replacing it. Beyond that, you need a scan tool so that you can read where the position is so that you don't fool the computer into thinking that the throttle is open a percentage when it's at zero. An OBD2 reader that can read live data can read the data you need to monitor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The reason I ask why you are replacing it is that we had a problem recently where the Fe would only go about 20mph and it ended up being the electrical plug was loose/had dirty contacts. I used electrical contact cleaner in a spray can and some dielectric grease on the pins and took care of the problem, solving the need to buy an expensive part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to address my post.

My santa fe is triggering a code that shows a defective throttle position sensor. Only symptom I have is poor gas mileage. Will a defective senor cause poor millage? I may try cleaning mine as well. Also, can a sensor be replaced and re installed in the same orientation?

One more question, I take it a 16 pin data link scan tool a standard ODBII scanner. the repair manual states when installing the TPS the reading on the "scan tool" should be between 250-800 mili volts. Is the voltage reading a function of ODBII scanners?

Thanks ahead for any reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to address my post.

My santa fe is triggering a code that shows a defective throttle position sensor. Only symptom I have is poor gas mileage. Will a defective senor cause poor millage? I may try cleaning mine as well. Also, can a sensor be replaced and re installed in the same orientation?

One more question, I take it a 16 pin data link scan tool a standard ODBII scanner. the repair manual states when installing the TPS the reading on the "scan tool" should be between 250-800 mili volts. Is the voltage reading a function of ODBII scanners?

Thanks ahead for any reply!
Where did you get the manual with the specs for live data

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts