Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here as I just bought an 02 Elantra MT with ~115,000 miles about a week ago. Everything was great with the car when I bought it aside from the transmission slipping a little after changing gears. I assumed I would just have to replace the clutch, and it's reasonable to need a clutch replacement after 115,000 miles, so it wasn't a deal breaker. However, I have been reading around forums and I read something about a pressure valve that delays clutch engagement in the older Hyundais. This would make sense, as when the clutch slips, I don't smell burning clutch at all, and the vehicle goes into gear just fine (no grinding, no having to "slam" it into gear, clutch pedal feels fine, it chatters a little, but only in 1st and reverse). Is the pressure valve a possible cause for this slipping? I think I will get the clutch replaced either way, as it's probably due for a new one, but I was wondering if this might be a temporary fix until I have the time/money to do the clutch job (I'm a student and can only work full time during the summer, but don't need to use the car until then). Also, I will likely have a shop replace the clutch and service the transmission, as I have experience working on cars, but don't have a lot of equipment. Anyone who has done the clutch replacement for the XD Elantra, how difficult is it? Anyone who had a shop do it, how much did they charge? Just investigating my options as I will be doing the job myself or having someone else do it come May.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I replaced the clutch last year. I did a quick thread about it here:

The release bearing broke while I was working on another car so the Hyundai sat for a few months until I had time to do it. Turned out to not be as big of a job as I thought.

I’d estimate around $1000 for a shop to do it, but that depends on your location. Alternatively, for less than $200 you can get all of the parts (clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, flywheel) and do it yourself. But you’ll also need tools.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the clutch last year. I did a quick thread about it here:

The release bearing broke while I was working on another car so the Hyundai sat for a few months until I had time to do it. Turned out to not be as big of a job as I thought.

I’d estimate around $1000 for a shop to do it, but that depends on your location. Alternatively, for less than $200 you can get all of the parts (clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, flywheel) and do it yourself. But you’ll also need tools.
Cool! Thank you, I'll take a look at how you did it and see if I might be up to the task. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cool! Thank you, I'll take a look at how you did it and see if I might be up to the task. Much appreciated.
That thread was mainly to give tips if you don’t want to lower/remove the subframe.

There are two videos on YouTube of some very talkative dude. It could have been 5 min if he understood clarity and being concise but you can still glean visual information from them. Here’s the link to the first one:

My recollection of key points when I did it are this. There are undoubtedly other steps and maybe they’re not quite in order but hopefully I’m not missing anything major.

- Remove air intake, battery, etc. to gain access to the top of the transmission.

- Remove starter (2 bolts maybe?).

- Remove topside transmission bolts and take note of which one the grounding plug connects to.

- I personally waited until the transmission could slide out a little bit before unbolting the shifter cables because it was so cramped. But you can certainly do that prior.

- Support the engine using something like an engine support bar.

- Remove the mounts—underside at front, underside at rear, and top of transmission.

- Finish up with underside transmission bolts. I sometimes supported the transmission with a transmission jack (the cheapo from Harbor Freight).

- Replacing the clutch components themselves is like most other cars and you can look up generic instructions. The main difference is the release bearing which needs to click into place. I think the dude mentions it in the video but if I recall there are better videos of that on YouTube.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Of primary importance is that you do not click the throwout bearing into place in the pressure plate, before closing it up and bolting the trans back to the engine. T/O bearing gets placed on the trans shaft, fitted to the clutch arm before reassembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for the advice, it will be very helpful when I go to attempt the replacement. My plan is to do everything over the course of 3 days around the weekend of April 30th or so. I will post everything that I do here and I will try to record myself as I do the work and post it to YouTube to help out anyone else that might be replacing the clutch on an XD Elantra. I am going to get a transmission jack and engine support bar, as I already have a tool set with sockets and such, torque wrench, and jacks/jack stands. While I'm in there; is there any other service that should be done while I'm already removing the parts? I've seen that the Rear Main Seal should be replaced when the clutch is serviced, and I plan to change the trans fluid and bleed the clutch system. Is there anything else I should try to do while I'm in there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, how should I decide whether I need to replace the Flywheel or just have it resurfaced? From what it looks like, a new flywheel is about $70, and resurfacing might cost $30-40. What would you recommend? I have a feeling getting the flywheel resurfaced will prolong the job by a few days, as machine shops aren't usually open on the weekends, and I plan to do it Friday-Sunday.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personally I’d get a new flywheel. Though I didn’t change mine when I did my clutch change so I can’t say how easy it’d be to replace it without removing the transmission (space wise). My guess is that it’d be totally fine, but just so you know in case you attempt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.