Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, '02 Accent GS with stock horn (squeaky toy). Can I replace that with a dual horn setup without doing any relays or some such?

I'm thinking; run a couple female spades off the OE plug with "Y" coming off those spades to the appropriate lugs on the aftermarket horns. It's easier to do than to explain. I just don't want to overload the system.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Can I replace that with a dual horn setup without doing any relays or some such?
Of course you can.

Bike...and Dennis said:
run a couple female spades off the OE plug with "Y" coming off those spades to the appropriate lugs on the aftermarket horns
The Accent already has dual horns (well, UK models did) so you don't even need the "Y". Just cut the OE plugs off and crimp on the appropriate connectors that suit your new horns.

Bike...and Dennis said:
I just don't want to overload the system.
There's already a horn relay in the circuit so I don't see you having any overload issues.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
There's already a horn relay in the circuit so I don't see you having any overload issues.
Isn't it a fuse that handles overloads and not the relay???
The relay handles the higher current or power for the load
But it is the fuse which protects against overload issues

Please correct me .. if that is wrong???

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Yes the fuse is there to protect the circuit from overload.

But reading the opening post I get the impression the OP was worried about the possibility of his larger horns overloading the horn switch. I'm guessing that's why he asked if it would be necessary to fit a relay when he installs the larger horns. Fitting an additional relay isn't necessary because the horn switch is already isolated from the horns by a relay. But I apologize to the OP if I misunderstood the meaning of his post.

Regardless, I still don't see him having any overload issues. It's unlikely that any horns he fits will draw more than the 10Amps that the horn fuse is rated at.

Regards.
Scottie.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
No, I didn't think so.

That was just avisitor trying to show us all how smart he is. The guy's a true auto electrical geniarse :laugh:
No, not so smart.
But I stick my two cents in even if I am wrong so I learn something
And I apologize if it seems that way
I am constantly looking for confirmation about my ideas
And am willing to accept the lashing that comes from being wrong
Cause in the end ... I learn

Note: The only thing I don't like is when someone ask me not to post because I am wrong or misleading.
I am here like everyone else trying to learn. And maybe save a few dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts