Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a friends 2002 Elantra that was fine driving to the shops but when restarted fired but ran rough coughed and spluttered then stalled, it did this a couple of times then it would crank but would not fire at all. I think this issue is a fuel pump issue because i can not here any sound of fuel pump priming when starting the vehicle. I have tried connecting my scan tool (Carmanscan AT) but any attempt come up with a unable to communicate error.

so i was hoping that someone could please tell me if i should be able to hear the fuel pump operating on this vehicle and secondly any thoughts on why the scan tool wont communicate,?
any thoughts would be great thank you

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Simple test, spray starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires off and runs for a bit. If it does, fuel problem. If not, timing or ignition.

Had the car been refueled shortly before it quit running? If so, check the fuel.

Did the timing belt jump? Should be changed on that engine at no more than 90K miles (manual says 60K). The belt can shed teeth and jump timing, or completely break and tear up valves.

And yes, in a quiet environment you can usually hear the pump do it's prime up.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
When an engine cranks but wont fire there are a few simple checks you should perform that will give you a clue about what the problem might be.

1. Is the CEL illuminating when you first switch on the ignition?
2. Is there spark at the plugs?
3. Is the fuel pump switching on during crank?

If the CEL isn't illuminating there is usually PCM power supply/ground issue. If the PCM isn't switched on/powered up you'll have no spark & no operation of the fuel pump. Obviously, if the PCM isn't switched on the scan tool isn't going to be able to communicate with it either.

If the CEL is OK but you find you have no spark & no fuel pump operation (DURING CRANK), that is usually an indication of a fault with the crank position sensor.

If you have spark but no fuel, that is a sign of a fuel pump circuit problem.

If the fuel pump operates (DURING CRANK) but there is no spark, you have an ignition circuit fault.

And if you have a CEL, spark and fuel and it still wont start, your looking at maybe a timing issue or perhaps a breathing problem (intake/exhaust restriction, EGR leak)

I hope these simple checks point you in the right direction. They usually work for me.

Fuel Pump Check Terminal...on the secondary diagnostic connector behind the dashboard. Check terminal should have 0V with the ignition on, but 9~10V during crank, if the PCM is switching the fuel pump on.

The picture shows a Sonata but the Elantra has the same connector.You shouldn't need to remove the dash trim to access it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think it's ECU connection problem only. Use electrical cleaner to clean all terminals and ground wires on the battery, car body, engine, etc. If the stereo is still working when ignition is on, that means the battery connection is good. Then make a good grounding would be able to wake up ECU and fix the problem

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Looking at a friends 2002 Elantra that was fine driving to the shops but when restarted fired but ran rough coughed and spluttered then stalled, it did this a couple of times then it would crank but would not fire at all. I think this issue is a fuel pump issue because i can not here any sound of fuel pump priming when starting the vehicle. I have tried connecting my scan tool (Carmanscan AT) but any attempt come up with a unable to communicate error.
Was thinking the same thing until you said the scanner wouldn't communicate with the ECU

so i was hoping that someone could please tell me if i should be able to hear the fuel pump operating on this vehicle and secondly any thoughts on why the scan tool wont communicate,?
any thoughts would be great thank you
Certainly should be able to hear the fuel pump priming before cranking engine
Check fuses to see if the engine and computer are getting power?
Both the engine bay fuse box and the dash fuse box (behind the coin holder?)
Swap ECU relay? See if there is the 5 volt reference voltage.
That would probably be a white with black stripe wire at the throttle position sensor with key on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts