Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF has a 2002 Elantra, and recently, she's had a remote start kit put in her car. Previously, though, we were moving something in/out of her car and broke the shift knob and the rod became bent, so we had to bend the rod back to be able to put the car back into park. (The car is an auto).

Recently, she's had a couple rough/no starts from her car. There have been a few times where she would come over to my house and the car would not restart soon after she turns off the ignition. However, the car will start rough about 3 hours later and run perfectly fine once it cranks. This doesn't happen often, but enough to be troublesome.

The problem with this though is the fact that sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't, and it runs PERFECTLY fine. The lights are not dimming, the battery is not dying, the car has not required to be jumped. While having these problems we drove the car around for about 5-6 hours and it was perfectly fine. Her dad thinks it's the alternator, but the battery hasn't been losing any charge and the battery hasn't been dying. There has been one time where her father moved the shifter up and down and put it back into park and the car started just fine. Could this be related to the shifter, and how the car isn't reading that's it's fully in park to relay ignition? Her dad said he tested the alternator and it was "bad," but like I said, if the alternator was bad, her battery would be losing charge, and that is definitely not the case.

Like I said, this problem doesn't happen often, but enough to leave her stranded, as it has twice already. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but if it were the alternator, the battery wouldn't magically charge itself and provide enough juice to start it, let alone keep it running for a few months on end. She doesn't get paid for another week and doesn't have money for a service charge until next week.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If the car cranks fine, battery is good.

Alternator is not used to start car, it comes on line after the engine is running to charge battery and cover the electric load needs.

Shifter only will only come into play if the car is not in P or N for the range switch to allow starter to operate

You have some sort of electric problem, or sensor concern.. 2002, I almost would tell you to up and replace the crank position sensor...

Have you scanned it to see if any pending or actual fault codes hiding in the PCM ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 28 2010, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352613
If the car cranks fine, battery is good.

Alternator is not used to start car, it comes on line after the engine is running to charge battery and cover the electric load needs.

Shifter only will only come into play if the car is not in P or N for the range switch to allow starter to operate

You have some sort of electric problem, or sensor concern.. 2002, I almost would tell you to up and replace the crank position sensor...

Have you scanned it to see if any pending or actual fault codes hiding in the PCM ?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, and that's the reason I disagree with her father who "tested it" and said the alternator was bad and the cause of the problem. I'm like no..the alternator's only purpose is to charge the battery, has no relation to starting.

I have not brought it to get the car scanned at all, and have recommended her to do that many, many times. But she's really stubborn to the fact that she thinks her dad knows everything about cars and such, and hasn't made the attempt to go get it looked at.

I agree that it's an electrical problem too and with the way the shifter is, I'm betting you that the car isn't fully engaging into P. Tomorrow morning I'll take it upon myself to bring it to an autozone to have it scanned for codes hiding in the PCM. Thanks for your input. I'll repost once I find out what the scoop is tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (blind527 @ Aug 27 2010, 04:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352379
My GF has a 2002 Elantra, and recently, she's had a remote start kit put in her car. Previously, though, we were moving something in/out of her car and broke the shift knob and the rod became bent, so we had to bend the rod back to be able to put the car back into park. (The car is an auto).

Recently, she's had a couple rough/no starts from her car. There have been a few times where she would come over to my house and the car would not restart soon after she turns off the ignition. However, the car will start rough about 3 hours later and run perfectly fine once it cranks. This doesn't happen often, but enough to be troublesome.

The problem with this though is the fact that sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't, and it runs PERFECTLY fine. The lights are not dimming, the battery is not dying, the car has not required to be jumped. While having these problems we drove the car around for about 5-6 hours and it was perfectly fine. Her dad thinks it's the alternator, but the battery hasn't been losing any charge and the battery hasn't been dying. There has been one time where her father moved the shifter up and down and put it back into park and the car started just fine. Could this be related to the shifter, and how the car isn't reading that's it's fully in park to relay ignition? Her dad said he tested the alternator and it was "bad," but like I said, if the alternator was bad, her battery would be losing charge, and that is definitely not the case.

Like I said, this problem doesn't happen often, but enough to leave her stranded, as it has twice already. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but if it were the alternator, the battery wouldn't magically charge itself and provide enough juice to start it, let alone keep it running for a few months on end. She doesn't get paid for another week and doesn't have money for a service charge until next week.

What do you guys think?
Hi

I am having the same problem with my 02 elantra GLS Manual. It starts even after leaving it for a month in its first attempt. But wont start immediately after a stop. Its intermmittent. I can't re-create the problem. I will try removing the key and inserting again and crank again. leave the drivers door open and crank some times it works too. I just wonder if you had found a solution.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it helps, I had a similar problem with my 2003 Elantra. Recently it would crank but not start in the mornings, then start with no problem an hour or two later. After lots of frustration, it went to the dealer on a tow truck. They replaced the starter relay, and it seems to have done the trick.

Less than a month later, the new problem is that I turn over the key and get nothing; a minute later, ( or a few seconds) it starts just fine. Suggestions, anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts