Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past month, I have noticed intermittent issues with the heating system. When the heat is on, the air blows warm/hot for awhile, but then will suddenly blow cold air for awhile. This continues on and off with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Last night, the engine temperature grew hot enough that I had to pull over. There was a little bit of whispy vapor coming off the radiator; since it had no smell, I suspect that it was water vapor and not coolant. This morning, I found no obvious leaks on the hoses/etc... We keep the car in a garage, and there have been no leaks at all. I did find sticky spots of coolant/droplets on the top of the radiator by the radiator cap. There are also pinhead sized droplets in other spots as if coolant sprayed out of the radiator. Would this be evidence of the seals on the radiator cap going bad, especially since there are no other obvious leaks?

All the hoses look fine, there are no obvious leaks under the car, and just small patches here and there of what looks like sprayed coolant. In addition, the oil is full and looks like oil, so I don't believe any coolant is mixing with the oil. There is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust, so I also don't think coolant is leaking into the exhaust system.

Are there any other obvious things I should be checking? Or are there any other common problems I should be aware of that may cause this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look at upper radiator tank directly opposite of the upper hose fitting.. see if there be a nice crack on the tank, and top of radiator have debris

Look at "elbow" hose from rear of head to pipe along block by exhaust manifold,, does it have debris on it from upper hose seepage onto it ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hoses are all clean, and I cannot see a crack, but I also don't have an excellent view, so I may be missing one, especially if it's smallish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For the coolant leak Follow the steps in this video to see how to fix minor coolant (antifreeze) leaks in your 2005 Hyundai Elantra. ... Coolant can leak from the reservoir or from the hoses, in 2005 Elantras with the 2.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
It sounds like coolant lost
Did you check your radiator when it was cold?
Never open a hot radiator cap without full protection!!
Fill with coolant as needed

If you have a pressure tester
Then pressure test your radiator
Listen for leaks as well and looking for a leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts