Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having issues the past month with the car taking a couple times to start. It's very sporadic. Sometimes I'll only have this issues once a week. Sometimes once every other day.

Engine cranks it's just not firing. Almost like what would happen if you were out of gas. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times. Just yesterday it took about 5-6 times. Once started though the car seems fine. Drives fine, haven't really noticed any hesitation nor has it died while driving.

1.6 automatic
130,000 miles
no CEL on
new plugs at 100,000 miles

Changed the fuel filter when i noticed it happening and ran some fuel treatment cleaner in it. Hasn't really helped much.

We took it into the shop and of course every time they checked it out it started up fine. even left the car there for 2 days and started up fine for them. They said they couldn't really diagnose it as it seems ok to them.

Any one have any ideas? Fuel pump going bad? Fuel pressure regulator going bad? Crankshaft position sensor going bad? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Hyundai did that for a little while about a year ago. Listen for the fuel pump "buzz" when you turn the key on. If you don't hear it, you will atleast know that something is stopping power to the pump. Start cheap with a fuse or relay replacement, rather than replacing the pump right away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Next time it will not fire immediately stop cranking and turn the key to the on position for 10 - 20 seconds then off for 30 seconds then back on 10 - 20 seconds. This will " prime the system and let you know if you are loosing fuel pressure. Fuel pressure can be lost at the Fuel Pressure Regulator , injector or leak .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Hyundai did that for a little while about a year ago. Listen for the fuel pump "buzz" when you turn the key on. If you don't hear it, you will atleast know that something is stopping power to the pump. Start cheap with a fuse or relay replacement, rather than replacing the pump right away.
I swapped the horn and fuel relay. Didn't seem to make a difference, although I only had one small startup issue this weekend out of about 8 startups. Wouldn't start initially but it did the 2nd time.

Next time it will not fire immediately stop cranking and turn the key to the on position for 10 - 20 seconds then off for 30 seconds then back on 10 - 20 seconds. This will " prime the system and let you know if you are loosing fuel pressure. Fuel pressure can be lost at the Fuel Pressure Regulator , injector or leak .
Thanks. Will give that a shot next time we experience it. Is the Fuel Pressure Regulator installed on the fuel pump? It doesn't appear to be installed on the fuel rail.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Any one have any ideas? Fuel pump going bad? Fuel pressure regulator going bad? Crankshaft position sensor going bad? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Could be any of those things.
Good suggestions so far.
Has it failed since the shop had it ?

Could just be a loose or corroded connection.
I would first re-seat the fuse, relay and connectors going to the pump and maybe the CPS too.

And when it fails to start, you should always turn it completely OFF and start over; hard to remember to do that though.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i had this exact problem and it was a devil to track down. after a while the ECU started to give me a few clues: low system voltage and later reported *both* o2 sensor heater circuits failed.

i started going over the wiring schematics and turns out that there is a relay in the box under the hood that supplies power to the ECU. the o2 sensors are the only other thing on this relay. it was failing intermittently.

i believe it is labeled ECM....the easy test is to simply swap with another relay in there that is non critical. ensure the relay is identical. try the horn or maybe the condenser fan on the a/c if you have it.

the interesting thing about this problem is the fuel system will work just fine - as it should being on a different relay.

don't go replacing parts without diagnosis! eliminate these relays first, they are known to fail. if you want to be el cheapo, visit the local wreckers. the relay should be $5 or less.

can't promise this is your problem, but it does seem to happen and this was just my experience. have had 0 start issues since tracking this one down...and it was failing to start far worse than yours. i'd sit there and crank for 5 minutes or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts