Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 2.4 Petrol Santa Fe. Whilst driving home recently the car just lost power and struggled to get up modest inclines even in low gears and with more acceleration. Engine Check light came on. Car still starts of and idles fairly smoothly but at lower revs than normal - used to rev quite hard when first started and drop to normal rev quickly. Any help would be great.. thanks
Had noticed a bit of an unpleasant smell from the car when parking up after use.
Don't have error code(s) yet

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll be the first the first to bite:) Probably a clogged cat. Seems to be the issue of the summer around these forums and especially common on the 2.4 L engine at these ages. Must be contagious and only a matter of time before we all get the bug....

You'll probably be recommended to drop the exhaust pipes and cat off and see if it runs better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that rwmarthaler appreciated. I read somewhere that if you press the accelerator and the there is a good 'rush' of exhaust from the tailpipe then the cat is not blocked. Mine seems to to be fine in that case ?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you have a check engine light, then the logical thing to do is have a code scan, which will give you a definite clue. Otherwise there's a lot of things that could cause it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts